Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Structured + Unstructured = Harmony

 

That day I knew I wanted to wear a dress! And this combination, even though the pieces are not new, came together just recently. I love it! Oddly enough, I just wore teal & gold together in another combination, we took photos, but on the second thought, that one still need some improvement, so I probably won't share it just yet. But it was charming. I'm inclined to a little simpler looks these days. Maybe a dress or a skirt with a cardi - something easy to wear and feminine, and just like Beate said, if a piece of jewelry comes to mind, I'll add it, and if not - I go without. (Read Beate's thoughts on style and life in her inspiring interview here.)


This time, my dress (you could see it previously in this post from last October) asked for the company of this versatile necklace which goes beautifully with so many outfits, and is lightweight, which makes it a pleasure to wear (you could see it in this post from March).


I think I'm getting hold of how to combine pieces of different structure together. Being a self-taught fashionista and generally one who more than anything enjoys inventing the bicycle over and over again, I've probably invented it again this time too - so if what I discovered is commonplace, so be it, but in my book, it's a revelation. Are you intrigued? 


Combine a structured piece with a less structured/loose piece for a more dynamic/interesting look. What? You already knew that? I told you - it's only another bicycle, but it was so much fun to invent it. It's exactly what I've done here - the dress has a businessy/blazery kind of feel, doesn't it, with the shape and collar like this. If I add another structured piece to it (like a blazer) - it would be too much, it would feel stiff and conservative. So I opted for a well loved cardigan (the looser, the better) - which not only created a great color contrast, but also took the too structured feel off the outfit. Voila!


Same with the necklace, by the way. I love wearing "office style", the shapes resonate with me, but I also love adding a whimsical element to it - then it feels not too office-ish, but rather artistic and free. Not to mention the teal nails!

Come to think of it, doesn't this realization help with understanding this great mystery-of-life-balance too? We need some structure in life, otherwise we'd be completely overwhelmed by the chaos. Humanity creates structure where there is none - we create all sorts of calendars, plans, horoscopes, belief systems and schedules for business, study and even fun. But if we follow structure too closely, we find ourselves overwhelmed by the feeling that every minute of our existence is spoken for, and there is no room to breathe. Structure is good, but so is the freedom to just be.


Thank you so much for your lovely comments and wishing me well, my dear friends. Everything is just fine here, I just needed a break from words after completing an unexpectedly intense piece of writing, and I now feel refreshed after a break. Thank you so much to everyone who left a "like" on our photo - we got over 40 votes, the Facebook part of the contest ends today (you can see it HERE and "like" our picture if you haven't yet). After that, all the photos will be on display in two different spa locations, and all visitors will have an opportunity to vote in person. Then, by combining all the votes (from FB and from the spa visitors), winners will be announced. Will we be rewarded by free banya passes? Hmm... ;)

Dress - Ashley Stewart
Cardi - Old Navy
Shoes - Rockport
Necklace - Lane Bryant
Purse - B Makowsky

Linking up with Throw Back Thursday and

I'm also joining for the first time Top of the World Style link-up hosted by Nicole of High Latitude Style - wonderful blog from Alaska! If you want tips how to look stylish in the extreme weather conditions, do visit Nicole!

***

24 comments:

  1. You look lovely in this outfit, it is so harmonious yet creative. But then again, I might be a bit biased: a cardi and a wrapdress is one of my favourite combos, the no-brainer choice for a busy day.... And so endlessly versatile (well, depends on how many cardis you have, of course...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I start thinking that I don't have enough cardigans, Tiina. :) I know I need a coral one for sure! And orange too! :)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful wrap dress! The colours were made for you, and the fit is incredible. It looks great with the cardigan. I have so many cardigans in my wardrobe, but always seem to end up with a granny-look, maybe because I don't have that sharp and young hair of your :-) I really like your shoes too, they remind me of my old snake skin purse, that I wore to pieces, and still miss! It's all such a harmonious mix, a delight to look at Natalia :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tine! I think cardigans are timeless and charming! So what if the look is a little bit granny-like? Grannies are so cozy and lovable! :)

      Delete
  3. Natalia, this dress has beautiful cut. This color realy work together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna! Colors are everything to me. :)

      Delete
  4. How I do LOVE this dress on you. It showcases your va va voom shape.

    I hope you win the spa day.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit shy to showcase my va va voom, my dear! :)))

      Delete
  5. The dress and cardigan combine beautifully. Yes, a bit of balance and knowing what works for us is such a helpful thing in life as well as a wardrobe! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should know - you mastered the look yourself, Curtise! And seeking for a balance seems like your thing as well. :)

      Delete
  6. This is a stunning look! Goes far beyond being just nice. It's fantastic, Colours play so amazing and this necklaces is perfect here. It's one of my favourite outfits of yours.
    So true people have this werid need of cataloguing everything. As long as we hurt noone why not just do what we want and be what we truly are without feeling guilty or ashamed? We complicated life so badly that keeping things balanced is quite difficult:) This is a great topic and I could just go on and on about it:D
    I believe that love is the skeleton key to harmony.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? You are a genius, my dearest friend! Yes, it's always love. xxxxx

      Delete
  7. That's the greatest feeling - having an "a-ha" moment in how we dress, especially when we come across it ourselves. You are right, the business with the flowy are great counterpoints for a more dynamic overall look. And I love this colour combination. I hope your intense writing session was as rewarding as it was exhausting. I hope you win! I couldn't vote, sorry, because I'm not on FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt rewarding! And I also am not on FB, that's the irony of this contest for me. :)

      Delete
  8. I like these two colours together - teal and golden. And the structured/unstructured combination looks really nice. Thank you, Natalia, for your last comment on my blog. Every word of support means so much now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the very best to you, Olga! Big hugses!

      Delete
  9. I do agree that this wrapped dress and the loose cardi are a match made in fashion heaven . It is always fun to match clothing items that are bit formal with those that aren't....and what is most important you look very confident, powerful and beautiful in this outfit.

    I don't have fb, so I can't support you there but I wish you good luck with the contest...and have a wonderful weekend!

    http://modaodaradosti.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting idea of the dress and sweater from the last post. I'll try! I thought that coral color would look good here!

      Delete
  10. Ooo I love that snakeskin print dress! Very pretty with the teal cardi. Glad you saw you were featured this week! Thanks for always sharing with Fun Fashion Friday and have a great weekend!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Dawn Lucy! As I said, it was an unexpected and very pleasant surprise to be featured on your blog. Enjoy your weekend too! :)

      Delete
  11. Such a beautiful dress ! Natalia ! You look fabulous :) have a lovely weekend :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wrap dresses are always so very flattering and this one was designed with you in mind. Perfect with those snakeskin shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great color combination! I love that even your nails match your outfit.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete