Sunday, May 28, 2017

Passion for Sea and Style


How rewarding the sun feels after many long, gray months! And how wonderful that for many working people this long Memorial Day weekend happens to be so gloriously sunny! I hope everyone enjoys it as much as we do. Living right next to one of the rare sand beaches around Puget Sound, it seemed like the most natural thing to go to our park and open the beach season.  



You know that my family loves exploring and discovering new places, and we often take day trips to nearby towns and parks, but yesterday after running some errands (food shopping and the last day of Anya's Chinese school, yes, that kid is trilingual - Russian, English and Mandarin), we decided to simply go to the Dash Point State Park which is the point where we landed 10 years ago and have enjoyed living here ever since. 




Sixgill shark found at our beach, Summer 2009. Anya is holding a toy shark - it was her favorite animal back then, she was carrying it everywhere with her.

So many memories flashed back to me, seeing the little beach house where we spent our first 3 years here, remembering the many kids' parties for Anya's friends, beach walks with our friends and neighbors, and of course swimming and boating, and even trampolining, watching the amazing natural life - bald eagles, seahawks, seals, and even finding a dead sixgill shark once (friendly little sharks they are!), which we reported to the local university - we even were late for school that day. Many day camps that we organized first as individuals, later as a part of the Russian language school that we founded, were also spent on this beach. And of course Justin and I come here to enjoy walks even in winter time, but there is something so incredibly joyful about coming here in the Summer and spending a couple of hours just to be in the sun near calming water, celebrating life! 


The creek which Little Anya first conquered at the age of 5, overcoming her fear of walking on the log over the water (the photo above from yesterday, and photos below from 2009).



How not to love this place, filled not only with natural beauty and local history, but with our own personal history?




Maybe that's why my beach outfit, first one this year, looks so celebratory. I didn't really plan it, you know how it happens - one thing leads to another, and that one to another, and it goes on. I wanted to break in a new swimsuit that I snapped up on sale, and I already had red nails, and then I remembered about the kimono, and that lead me to the hat ... and the cat-eye sunnies and vintage clip-on earrings (bought at the Lakewold Garden Mother's Day jewelry show) were the finishing touches. I of course didn't get into water in my full attire, but it was fun to show up like this, have a photo shoot and enjoy every bit of my passion for sea and for style.


  

Swimsuit - Lela Rose for Lane Bryant (last year, bought on clearance)
Kimono - Melissa McCarthy (last year, bought on clearance)
Hat - Old Navy (old, though not navy)
Sunnies - Lane Bryant (old)
Faux pearl earrings - vintage
Embroidered purse - vintage
Beach shoes - Crocs (old)

My previous swimsuit posts HERE and HERE.

Linking up with Visible Monday

* * *

22 comments:

  1. Oh Natalia this is a wonderfull post. I love the story about this area, made it so unique for you and your familiy. Stunning beach Outfit, like a lady.
    I wish I live near the sea, it is 5 hours to drive. To much for a beach day.
    Very big hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tina!! I know what you mean! I used to live in the middle of two large countries, far away from any seas, days and days away... Here, we take short vacations to the ocean side which is 2 to 4 hours driving, depending what direction we choose to go, once or twice a year. Ocean is so completely different from our quiet little bay! We love both, but I am glad to live here, it really suits me! <3

      Delete
  2. awesome beach look!!
    that swimsuit is a real beauty - and you styled it so chic and with lovely vintage air - just love it!! did you ever see "evil under the sun" from 1982/guy hamilton? (fav movie if mine) you totally look like escaped from that set!
    wonderful to learn more about your early years in tacoma and to see pic from "your" beach from then and now. sweet anya and the sharks - sounds like another kids book! :-) just saying....
    but - did you go into the water at all - or was it to chilly so early in the year?
    huge hugses to all of you! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I just HAD to see the movie after your comment! Justin and I love Poirot, but we usually watch the series with David Suchet (wonderful actor!). Peter Ustinov is fantastic too, love his presentation! I didn't know he was from the famous Benois family, so glad to learn. And of course I couldn't help but falling in love with the costumes and music in this movie!! We will definitely watch it again. More recommendations please! :)

      Puget Sound is quite cold year round, but when the tide is out, it is nice to splash, which I did! Kids swim even in cold waters, but to grown-ups it's a bit too much. Feels refreshing on a hot day though! So I do it sometimes, for just a little bit! But there are a few places with warm water in a canal where we go once or twice a year to swim.

      <3

      Delete
  3. woaaaa, you look so elegant, like a classic film star!, I love your swimsuit (such an amazing print and it fits you nicely!) and your kimono looks so chic!
    So fabulous place to go for a walk and enjoy with your family and friends, and even more fabulous because it makes you happy, so cute to remember your own stories at the beach!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my dear! Movie star! Ah! <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  4. Love, love your beach look - very chic (I am usually in shorts and sloppy tee : > ). And a beautiful photo essay of your beach. The good life. Thanks for linking, xo

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti! It's fun to dress up, and it's fun to take vacation from fashion too!! :)

      Delete
  5. You're looking stylish in your gorgeous beach wear, Natalia! It's so great to have a place with so much of your family's personal history woven into its fabric, and which you continue to enjoy as a family. A big hug from Belgium xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Ann! Love to you all the way to Belgium!!

      Delete
  6. Such natural beauty and style. You and the surroundings! We have just returned from four weeks at our beach cabin, to the onset of Winter temps here in Canberra. Posts like yours will provide our sunshine! Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! A month on the beach - heaven!! Love, my dear!

      Delete
  7. There's not much that beats the warmth of the sun on your skin after months shivering in layers of Winter clothes. You look fabulous and yes, Beate's quite right, you'd fit right in on the Murder Under The Sun set.
    Sweet Anya admiring that poor shark. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the sun is especially appreciated this year - it was gray for too long! Though I am not a strict sun-lover, I usually prefer a shady spot...but I noticed in the last few years I developed real appreciation for sun, especially when I spend time by the sea! <3

      Delete
  8. Piękny kostium:)))i bardzo ładna narzutka:)))fantastyczne zdjęcia:))Pozdrawiam serdecznie:))))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely loving this great swim suit! The print is so pretty. How cool to see Anya at 5, those are precious shots!
    Yes, the sun is out - I am celebrating with you!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Love that you noticed my swim suit - it's by Lela Rose for Lane Bryant, last year's collab. I'm sure you know this designer (she was new to me :). Enjoy, my dear!

      Delete
  10. So good to see you enjoying the sunshine and a day out at the beach- especially looking so very olde-world elegant in your pretty swimsuit and kimono. The photos of Anya are so precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear Jill!! It felt so fun to dress up for the beach. I don't think I was ever that dressy on the beach before, but I felt surprisingly comfortable. It felt like I reconnected all the old memories of this place with my new, current life. Love to you, dear!

      Delete
  11. The black and tan stripes on the hat start the feel of flow and movement in your beach ensemble that ends with the ripples of the fringe on your kimono. It gives the feel of flowing water and beach grasses waving in the breeze. How fun to revisit a spot filled with so many happy memories. Thank you for sharing with Hat Attack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful, beautiful description! Thank you for it, Judith!

      Delete