Friday, June 6, 2014

Share-in-Style: Fruit with Mis Papelicos!


Ta-daa! And the secret reveals! 
Why did I have a reason to go to Goodwill? Because gorgeous, ever inspiring and so lovable Sacramento of Mis Papelicos kindly asked me if I would like to partner with her Share-in-Style: Fruit this time. Would I? Would I?! But of course! I am happy and honored to do it!



So how was this a reason to go to Goodwill, you ask me? Simply because I did not have one single clothing item with fruit print on it in my writer's closet. Not one! And it's really strange because I adore fruit and berry patterns, and you can find many fruity things in my home, everything from dishes to artwork. But not a thing in the clothing department. So naturally, I went thrifting.


I had such a lucky day that day and amongst many other beautiful things which fit me perfectly, was a shirt with subtle embroidery of a whole bunch of summery things, including fruit slices. I thought of a photo shoot. I designed it. I put together an outfit. We did the shoot. And... I was not satisfied at all! It just was not right. Sometimes I can't explain, I just know it isn't what I want. I was disappointed, of course, but to be honest with you, at the end I am glad that it worked the way it did. I will probably find a way to style my thrifted shirt in the future, but not just yet. Because what I really wanted to share with you for the longest time was my passion for home decor, and one of the most favorite motives of mine actually is FRUIT!


The set of dishes and a pitcher you see here is a small part of what I collected over a couple of years thrift hunting. I first found this pattern while traveling. It reminded me of something my Mom would have when I was little. Fruit and berries say childhood to me, and I love my childhood. I miss my parents' home which is thousands of miles away, on the other side of the earth... Each piece of that very first dish set cost me only a few cents, so I did not think for too long and got them all. The rest, as they say, is history... 

Thanks to the Internet, I learned that the pattern was discontinued, and dishes were originally made in 90s (1991-1997). Apparently you can still find replacements here or on eBay and other sites, a few dollars a piece (not cheap). I from time to time find this particular design made by other makers, but the quality of print isn't nearly as good, with lots of scratches on the design. So I always look for the right label - Savoir Vivre (the pattern is Luscious). There are over 50 pieces in my collection now - and we use them every single day!


Here is another side of me which I haven't shown on this blog yet. I am a box collector for over a decade now. There are probably a couple of hundreds boxes of many different shapes, sizes, techniques and countries of origin that I own. I still manage to find something I had no idea exists from time to time, often in thrift or antique shops. On the photo above you see three boxes from my collection which are related to the topic of fruit. The porcelain apple box has a stamp of Metropolitan Museum of Art on the inside. It's less than 3 inches across, very realistically painted, completed with a bee!  The basket with grapes is by Rucinni - it caught my imagination the first time I laid my eyes on it. It's one of the very first boxes I bought intentionally for my collection, over 10 years ago, and it is still one of my favorites.  Can you guess why the third box is here? How is it related to the topic of fruit? It's actually really simple, though completely fascinating even to me. Ready to hear it? It is made of fruit! Yes, it is actually made of orange peel in Argentina. I've never seen one like this one before or after I found it on eBay... The tablecloth is a thrift shop find, or, actually, it was included with the fabulous picnic basket which I showed in this post - all utensils in a pristine condition for only $20 (similar one on Amazon).


I am also a collector of visual art. Both Justin and I come from creative families. Justin's Mom and brother are artists. My brother and daughter are artists, and so are Justin and I in many different ways. So it is only natural for us to be art appreciators. Nope, we aren't rich, at least not yet, but you don't have to be to collect pieces which resonate with you... it's just like with inexpensive clothes from thrift shops. There are some gems all over thrift and antique shops for a few dollars (and sometimes even a few pennies!)... The oil painting you see above is by Wagoner and dated 1975 (I was just a wobbly toddler at the time). I love the use of color! I want to eat the fruit, imagining how juicy they are. It's an antique mall find (around $30).


As for real fruit... When it's time for harvest, wouldn't it be lovely to throw on an airy, breathable peasant shirt and a pair of old comfy jeans and go to an orchard to harvest some delicious apples or cherries, or what the heck, bananas... whatever your favorite fruit is! (By the way, I saw bananas growing... I would never have guesses that that's how they grow! Sort of up side down from what I thought! In abundant bunches, very much like grapes!)


So that's my story for you today. I will be glad to find as vibrantly patterned skirt or dress some day as some of my beloved collectibles here. But for now, I will leave you with another denim look which I really like. Enjoy and join the fun here or at Mis Papelicos! Tell us - what's YOUR fruit story?


Blouse and vest - Chico's.
Jeans - Lane Bryant.
Shoes - Converse (only $9 - Nordstrom Rack find this Spring).
Earrings and pendant - Russian finift and filigree (eBay, years ago).


37 comments:

  1. Your lovely post, full of beauty, remembers me about the Russian custom, have the tea with jam... and your jeans-outfit is perfect for the summer. To go in the Cherise garden (Tchechov) - - -
    Have a great weekend :-)

    By the way: I have not a single garment with fruit printing or embroidery too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Чай с вареньем! На даче летом! Вишневый сад... Какая красота! :)

      Thank you so very much, Mascha! You played the theme BEAUTIFULLY! :)

      Delete
  2. Thankyou for putting me out of my suspense! What a lovely theme. I love your fruit patterned crockery. So fresh. I also love little boxes! But haven't collected many yet. On the fruit theme, I have some fruit that is drying (whole fruit)slowly wrinkling and losing moisture on the kitchen bench. They go hard like wood. Canberra has a very dry climate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend!! Fruit is such a fun topic! Maybe you can take some photos, write a story and join the fun, Jack? I'll be happy to read more about Canberra. :)

      Delete
  3. immediately i had some fruit adorned things from my household in my head.........
    i think i will made a post with fruit theme too. :-)
    the tableware and painting give me a glimpse of your home - you put warm, lovely and "gemütlich" over "design/representation" which i really love. maybe when our house is finished we should switch homes for holidays. with some days together here and there of cause.......
    the blouse looks pretty - a breazy peasant blouse are the best for a warm summer day, looking good with jeans of all lengths, with a dirndl skirt or with dressy pencil skirt.

    maybe the apple box is a hommage to magritte?

    hugs!!
    xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looove your idea of switching houses (or house swap as they say here). We need to start working on that one! Some day, yes?

      It definitely could be Magritte - who knows? :)

      Great idea to try this shirt with a pencils skirt, I have plenty to try it with. Hugs! xxxxxxx

      Delete
  4. I was also surprised when I realized there wasn't any fruit print in my wardrobe, sometimes we love prints or motives and they're not in our wardrobes, life is strange!, So great you find something properly fruity to show, love your dishes, the tablecloth and the boxes. And love your peasant blouse, so cute!. Wish you a fabulous harvest of fruity dishes and clothes!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvest of dishes and clothes! That sounds wonderful - I'm going to remember that one. :) And yes, life really is strange. :) Hugs! xxxx

      Delete
  5. Great post, Natalia! I love fruit too and that fruit painting is gorgeous! I always intend to paint fruit more often but then I forget to buy some so I can have models. Or I eat it if I buy it. I also love your outfit in this post. I love that romantic-casual effect. I'm really tired and my brain is not working very well so just imagine I am saying all sorts of complimentary and positive things here because I am trying to. It's just not coming out right.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawna, you are a keeper! :) You said everything just fine, and I definitely can imagine the rest. :)

      Have a goooood restful day and we will talk soon! xxxxxxx

      Delete
  6. Love those cute boxes Natalia! You look great, cute shoes. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoes deserve a separate post, actually. :) Thank you sweetie! xxxx

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for being such wonderful friend and inspiring partner. I wish I could go shopping to Goodwill with you one day.
    I also love boxes; although my husban is the collecter of the house, lol
    Tons of loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pleasure is mine, my dear Sacramento. Only Justin knows how excited I am to co-host this party with you. He knows that I glow when I just talk about you. :) Let's plan a trip to Goodwill together in the future some day. Lots of love xxxx

      Delete
  8. Great look, loving all your friuty items :)

    Thanks for hosting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by, it's so kind of you to leave a comment. :) xxx

      Delete
  9. You look radiant, very beautiful. I love the fruit painting and other items as well. I loved going to the Goodwill growing up in America, I wish they had them here in the UK. My husband collects boxes, we have lots of antique ones around the house!! Thank you for coming to my blog, so kind of you. I appreciate your sweet comment too, made me smile. I hope you have a wonderful week to come. Lots of love, Kizzy xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kizzy, thank you so much for your kind words! I do appreciate your comment so very much. You are lovely! Come to US and we'll go to Goodwill together (hopefully with Sacramento as well). :) Hugs and love to you too! xxxxx

      Delete
  10. So that's your secret. . . I love your fruity trinket boxes and that white blouse looks gorgeous on you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Co-hosting the fun at Share-in-Style with amazing Sacramento is my surprise, yes! :) It's a lovely shirt and gets a lot of use already! Thank you, Jayne - join us please!! xxxxx

      Delete
  11. I do see a lovely floral on you feet, so you succeeded ! I love the embroidery on the blouse and e causal yet bespoke feeling of hits outfits I know that pattern of dinnerware well! I used to be a mosaic artist.. It has a lovely pear , I think?
    Anyway, can wait to see the nest post . You oh do need a fruit themed dress. I can so see you on it!
    XX, Elle

    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you've seen this pattern, Elle - you are such a Queen of thrift shopping among other things! :) No pear - apple, grapes, strawberry... Hugs! xxxx

      Delete
  12. I don't have any fruit clothing either! It's shocking! I don't think I have any vegetable or other food clothing either. I must get on this. Meanwhile, I am bananas about peasant things these days. I love your blouse. Thank you so much for stopping by to say Hi. Cheers. Connie*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While fruit pattern clothes hunting at Goodwill, I found a T-shirt with fish on it! I should have bought it for the future link-ups! :))))

      Delete
  13. Love it! I will have to go and check out her site for more fruity tooty wonders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's one same link-up, which I was invited to co-host this time, so there would be the same entries at Sacramento's. :) Join the fun, Joni - there is still almost 17 hours to go! :)

      Delete
  14. I have mushrooms printed on clothes but I don't think I have any fruit! How shocking!
    Loving the fruit treasures in your collection, the printed china and that fabulous painting and the apple and fruit peel boxes are wonderful things. My grandma was a box collector, too - she loved anything from 18th Century patch boxes to Edwardian writing slopes and used to hide treasures inside them for me and my brother to discover when we investigated her collection.
    Love your peasant blouse and funky pumps! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. No fruit prints in my wardrobe either. Your fruit inspired china is an impressive collection. As someone who also collects little boxes of all sorts , I love yours. The peasant blouse is so nice on you. Thank you for your kind comments. Jill X

    ReplyDelete
  16. No fruit in my wardrobe either. Loads of flowers but no fruit.

    I love your box collection. My girlfriend used to collect them as well. That is until I turned her onto collecting clothes : )

    That boho peasant top is lovely.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhhhh, the secret is revealed!! you are a wonderful partner too, I had to miss this weeks share in style, I am still covered in paint from decorating haha! you look wonderful displaying art and I adore your boho vibe outfit and your pretty fruit box collection x x x

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look beautiful in this outfit! The shirt is so pretty.
    Интересно было узнать про твои коллекции. Я тоже люблю фрукты. Дала ссылку на серьги -яблочки -- сама их сделала недавно.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am the biggest fruit in my closet :) This is a lovely creative post Natalia! I think we all have things in life we collect and I love that you collect boxes, things that hold treasures! My Dad had a collection of beautiful boxes from as far away as Iran and as near as the Redwoods. I found secrets in one:)
    XXXOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your outfit looks very comfy and I adore your printed shoes and ring.
    what a cute treasures! my favorites are the set of dishes , reminds me a vintage film.
    have a nice day :)
    jfashion.co

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have lots and lots of florals, but only a couple of dresses with fruit on them. I love your fruity tableau, and your boxes are delightful, especially the apple with its little bee. Gorgeous folky blouse, it looks perfect with denim and Converse!
    It's obvious that you have an artist's soul, Natalia, you are both creative and an enthusiastic appreciator of art made by others. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's a perfect look. The shoes are amazing, And the boxes are so beautiful!
    Kisses :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Everyone just looks so darling!

    ReplyDelete