Monday, December 11, 2017

Cozy Edgy


When the weather stays cool for a few months, outerwear practically becomes our main outfit. This simple fact took me a long time to understand, even though I come from Siberia, which is famous for its extremely cold and long winters. When I lived there, I would have one or maximum two coats for Winter, and one or two for Spring and Fall. Since Siberian climate absolutely does not give you a break in terms of cold temperatures (unlike here where even if temps drop a few degrees, they will be back to mild in a day or two), you are stuck with coats for a bigger part of a year. So by the end of each season, you can't stand them, no matter how beautiful they are. When I moved to America, I immediately found myself in a much more comfortable climate. I first spent a few years in Southern Michigan and Southern Ohio where there are four distinct seasons and winter sometimes brings snow and cold temperatures...but not as severe, by Siberian standard. So one of the first things I quickly and happily unlearned was wearing winter coats and hats all together. Oh that felt gooood for a change!


When we relocated to the Pacific Northwest 10 years ago, we found ourselves in even milder climate. As far as I'm concerned, there is no real winter here. The whole cold period here is like Spring in Siberia - sometimes unpredictable and it can get cold, but never to any significance. I know people who don't own any coats here at all - they find that a sweatshirt and light raincoat is enough for this climate. (My daughter is under this impression now.) However attractive the idea of not wearing cold weather gear might seem, I learned that it simply isn't very wise to skip coats. Dampness can be quite penetrating when you go for a walk or wait for a bus (which Justin did for the few first years here as his job commute, and Anya does on a daily basis as a student now). A good coat can save your life then! It's even better to own two or three coats which you can rotate, depending on the situation. And even better if you have a lovingly curated collection of coats which will brighten any gray day! So over the last few years, I've collected quite a few coats which really help me to feel better about winter, however "not real" I think it is. 


Feeling a bit tired of my "fashion coats" (with more style than substance), I was craving a well made wool coat, substantial but still stylish. This boyfriend coat was a great find. It was my first purchase from Navabi, a Germany based plus size company. I snapped it up during a Summer sale and could not believe my luck - it was the last one! It is a wool blend (including alpaca and mohair) which provides beautiful texture, and feels luxurious. And it is in my favorite colors!! Green and orange (in all different shades of it, from carrot to rust, bronze and copper) is my favorite color combination, but it's not really popular nowadays, so it is hard to find. The coat has a distinct European flair to me, which is a huge part of who I am... When you live in different cultures (and continents), you learn that everything you knew about beauty and cuteness is relative. Just like every individual has his/her own taste, every culture develops its own idea of what is beautiful, or elegant, or cute. Often what appeals to my Russian eye simply isn't popular (read: impossible to find) in America, and on the other hand the American eye for beauty and cuteness influences my own taste.


I typically share my more elaborate outfits on the blog, but it does not mean that I always look dressed-up. Elaborate outfits bring me joy, but there are days when I just want to be comfortable. When I am at home, I wear soft loose dresses which do not restrict movements. When I go out, but want to stay comfortable and cozy, I can wear something like this outfit. I showed these faux leather pants before (OCTOBER 2016), they are definite favorites for this time of year, soft and comfy. When my dear friend BEATE showed her newly self-made OVERSIZED SWEATER (with a pattern and sewing instructions!), it reminded me of this jersey top which I like to combine with my pants/leggings. I bought it a couple of years ago, but I don't think it made it to the blog until just now. 


Just like my coat, it has an irresistible to me color combination. It looks like I'm hitchhiking, and there is some personal symbolism in it (I'm a bit obsessed with travel ideas lately), but actually I'm just showing off the sleeve, extreme width and asymmetric hem of this top. If they made this top in more warm color combinations, I would buy them all...alas, it was only available in gray/silver combo which isn't my cup of tea.



The pants are stretchy and comfy just as leggings, but they are made in a little more pants-like manner, with zipped pockets, wide waistband and pieced legs. I wear them with loose tops, sweaters or dresses for an edgy modern look. My edgy is still kinda cozy though. I guess that's what personal style is...when you bring a part of yourself into any look you try on, not on purpose, but when you just can't help it.  



Photos by Justin

Coat - Navabi (Summer sale)
Top - Lane Bryant (old)
Faux leather pants - Melissa McCarthy (old)
Boots - Born (old)
Hat - Lane Bryant (old)
Scarf, gloves - via TJ MAXX (old)
Sunnies - Christian Siriano for Lane Bryant (old)
Faux leather backpack - via TJ MAXX


Linking with Patti's Visible Monday

* * *

19 comments:

  1. Natalia I love these colours. You look amazing in this warm cosy coat. We have mild weather in germany, too. One day it is cold, one day it is rainy and warm.
    I wish you a great day, much love ßtina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, liebe Tina!! Wishing you some pretty decorative snow for Christmas! <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  2. fabulous new coat!!
    love the big tartan and of cause the material - and yes - totally your colors!!
    as are the shirt too. the bronze print makes for a lot of elegance - even the whole look is meant casual.
    and you suit the landscape!
    hugses! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beate!! I think the foggy woodsy surroundings are just perfect for this outfit. It was a fun walk! Lots of love!

      Delete
  3. These shapes and colors are so gorgeous! I like your idea of having a wardrobe of outerwear, as you live in a cooler climate (not to compare to Siberia!) and love variety. Looking fab, xox

    Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Patti! It took me a while, but I am now at ease with this idea! <3

      Delete
  4. Those colours are stunning, you're totally at one with nature in that fabulous outfit.
    I always tell customers fretting about having too many coats not to worry. Here in the UK our weather makes it coat weather pretty much all year round. Don't limit yourself to a couple of coats, get lots if you find good quality , affordable ones - variety is the spice of life! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You speak the words of wisdom, my dear Vix! Yay to a coat wardrobe!!! <3

      Delete
  5. I will always love these colours. In your case they go perfectly with your complexion and they also blend into the background. As a whole it is a lovely picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my dear! I think I know who you are, yes? :)

      Delete
  6. You just can't have too many coats, and living in a moderate climate just means you need more of them, in different shapes and sizes and for all kinds of weather! I love the colours of the wool coat and the oversized jersey is a fabulous piece. Justin is a gifted photographer. I'm particularly taken with the juxtaposition of nature and those power lines in the last photograph, which is fantastic. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That last shot was my idea :). Thank you, Ann! I am all for having a wardrobe of coats now, absolutely! They make winter so much warmer and more interesting! <3

      Delete
  7. Your new coat looks fabulous, the colors and pattern are so lovely!, and very You!, and I agree on those 'fashion coats' (they could look beautiful, but we need substance!). Buying some winter coats was the first thing I had to do when I moved from the south of the country!
    Sometimes it's hard to find something you like because it's not trendy!. Those orange and rusty shades, for example. And they're so awesome!
    Love your comfy&edgy style, the pullover shape, the comfy pants texture, everything is interesting! And I love your accessorizing!, the backpack, the sunníes!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica! I am glad that you appreciate this mix - you are the queen of comfy&stylish dressing!! <3

      Delete
  8. U Ciebie pięknie:))spodnie i płaszczyk bardzo mi się podobają:)))Pozdrawiam serdecznie:))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tribal printed top and gorgeous, cozy plaid coat. one of a beautifully curated collection. Yes!
    We do need our coats; dampness is for swamp creatures , not we style bloggers!
    I love the merlot skinnies, and the effortless way this beautiful outfit comes together!
    xoxo, Elle
    https://theellediaries.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear Elle! I had to smile about swamp creatures. :)) Lots of love!

      Delete
    2. and I had to use that expression, as I feel you would have!
      Much love !
      xoxo, Elle
      https://theellediaries.com

      Delete