Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Pleated in the Park


Hello hello!
It's been a while since I posted or replied to your sweet comments. I have a couple of outfits I haven't shared yet, and the final post about our Oregon vacation is still in the making. To ease into things, I've decide to start with the improvised photo shoot that I had with Anya last week.


Almost everything you see here should seem familiar to you, but the combination is new. I enjoy playing with my closet now - it offers practically endless possibilities. The pleated pants+top set is by the British fashion-forward brand Elvi, and I previously shared it in APRIL 2017 (exactly a year ago today, spooky!). It's very easy to wear, but I find it a bit tricky to photograph. To me, it has a Japanese vibe with kimono sleeves and loose silhouette, a bit Issey Miyake (who, as I've recently learned, gave pleats a new life back in the 1980s, and who celebrated his 80th birthday just a couple of days ago!). I played on the Asian vibe by adding the Chinese cloisonne necklace (an antique mall find) and a new-to-me thrifted leather clutch in simple lines and bold color.
  


The embroidered denim coat was worn and shown on numerous occasions: APRIL 2017SEPTEMBER 2014. It was a Goodwill find ($10, new with tags) from a few years back. The velvet sneakers (bought last year) are a perfect match with their almost identical embroidery. 





It was a lovely day when my usually very busy family had a break in their schedules, and we had a rare opportunity to just spend time together. We picked up new glasses for Anya, had lunch at our favorite Thai place, and took a nice long walk at Gene Coulon Memorial Beach Park located on the Lake Washington shore in Renton. I've always enjoyed this bronze sculpture - that's pretty much the three of us walking in the park, only our legs aren't that long and we're usually not naked! The sculpture is called Interface by Phillip Levine, the artist whose work can be seen in many public places in the Northwest.


Pants and top - Elvi (old)
Denim coat, necklace, purse - thrift finds
Shoes - Kenneth Cole Reaction (last year)

Photos by Anya

Linking with Visible Monday

* * *

25 comments:

  1. Love the juxtaposition with you and the sculptures! Great look, love sneakers like these with extra personality, xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti! It's finally dry here to wear these sneakers. :)

      Delete
  2. Can I get advice from you about coming by train from BEL, a single(hotel) night in Tacoma to see a few things ( TAM , Glass Museum, Glass Bridge)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things about Hotel Murano (but I haven't stayed there). It is pretty close to the museums. https://hotelmuranotacoma.com/

      Delete
    2. Thank you, we are investigating a train trip for the fun of coming by rail.

      Delete
  3. sweet post!! so wonderful that you 3 had some time to spend together!
    and perfect outfit for that - casual, comfy but bold and with a meaning. i adore the asian flavor - in the 80s japanese fashion was quiet avantgarde and i loved it. still do....
    here was it a bit rollercoaster - i try to recover now - mail in the next days!
    tons of hugs! <3 <3 <3 xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear! I also love Asian vibe!
      Looking forward to your email. Lots of love!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous clutch purse! And those sneakers are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very relaxed outfit, dearest Natalia! And I love how you stand as a living sculpture in the park! I also enjoy playing with my closet, it's funny and creative :-))
    Hugs to you, Traude
    http://rostrose.blogspot.co.at/2018/04/was-fur-ein-april.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are sisters in this madness, my dear Traude! <3

      Delete
  6. What a lovely day out you must have had! The photos are such fun, especially the one with the sculpture.
    The trouser suit looks fab, perfect with the denim coat.
    I often do that, look back at my blog and realise I was wearing the same thing, two, three or four years to the day! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must have a very precise inner clock, dear Vix! <3

      Delete
  7. It's lovely how you always share art and artists to be found in your area. Educational posts are always nice. That sculpture does look amazing, I should look that sculpture up. The park looks like a perfect place to take a stroll.

    Playing with our closet can be so much fun! I enjoy rewearing clothes, I think that's the main reason why I don't like shopping (apart from shopping my closet) that much. When we have had some clothing item for a long time, we start to associate memories and stories with it and that makes it precious.

    I do love this outfit. The matching set is so lovely. It does make me think of Asian clothing. I do like the Chinese necklace. Perfect styling. Denim jacket is a nice touch. Yellow bag is a nice pop of colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine life without art? How empty and cold it would feel... I enjoy public art on city streets and in parks, and I enjoy looking up the artists' names when I get home, do a little research for my posts. I am glad you appreciate it, dear Ivana! <3

      Delete
    2. I do the same. There are so many Croatian artists I have discovered that way, by looking them up or just by asking someone (if the name wasn't listed on the sculpture itself). Life without art would be dull indeed.

      Delete
  8. What a fun post, and it made me giggle to see you emulating the statues!!
    I do love playing with the clothes in my closet and coming up with new pairings!!
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that it made you giggle, dear Jodie! <3

      Delete
  9. If I saw your pleated style I think about Issey Miyake first :) You look gorgeous Natalia and i love this handbag :)
    Huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so much more knowledgeable about fashion than I am, dear Tina! I only learn occasional facts here and there. :)
      <3

      Delete
  10. What a fun and playful post, interacting with the sculptures! It's great to have an impromptu day together, isn't it? I love your pleated trousers suit, and its rust colour goes really well with the denim jacket and sneakers. How serendipitous that they have almost identical embroidery! Speaking of pleats and Issey Miyake, I'm a big fan of his perfume, Pleats Please! I can never resist pleats, you see! Hugest of hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a friend, ions ago, who loved IM perfume - but I don't remember the name of it. I didn't know he has Pleats Please - fun name!
      I am so glad you enjoyed this post, dear Ann! <3

      Delete
  11. A shout out to Anya for fabulous photos. I love your pleaded two piece set and adore your beautiful embroidered jacket. What a fabulous place for a photo shoot . The shot of you walking with the statues right behind you is so compelling.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Elle
    https://theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliment to Anya, dear Elle! The light was challenging as it was in front of the camera, so it was quite a task to take these pictures. But she really got into it, and I love looking at this mini photo session now - our collaboration. :)
      <3

      Delete
  12. lovely suit and lovely pictures with the sculptures!, so much fun!.
    I love particularly how your sneakers match your coat, that's fabulous!. And I also love the oriental vibe and the pleats, so cool!
    besos

    ReplyDelete