Saturday, April 24, 2021

Ms. Moon, Mr. Lamp and Other Stories


It is cool and drizzly out as I'm writing this now, but just recently we had a stretch of glorious sunny days which felt like Summer. To celebrate it, Justin and I went out a few times and even ate at a restaurant, on a patio to enjoy sunshine and be safe. With gorgeous weather and opened restaurants, it felt as if there was no pandemic, even though we all still wear masks. It's hard to explain, but driving down a busy highway, coming home after a day of adventure, I caught myself thinking that for brief moments life seemed just as it was before, as if there was no long weird year of isolation and anxiety... Have you had such a feeling lately or is it just me?




On one such beautiful day, we decided to escape to Edmonds, a lovely town just north of Seattle, for thrift shopping and some downtime at the beach. I wore this African inspired dress by Eloquii (one of my favorite themes - you know my love for earthy tones, bold patterns and all that). Isn't it a great design? I just love the subtle colorblocking and diagonal cut, I think it would look flattering literally on everybody. I even received compliments (oh such a forgotten feeling during the time of isolation). I combined it with my old striped straw hat and chunky glass necklace by Chico's which was waiting for it's 15 minutes of fame for probably 5 or 6 years since THIS 2015 OUTFIT (apparently I also have matching earrings - totally forgot about them). I bought the golden sandals last year I believe, but hardly had a chance to wear them. The purse is from Eloquii as well, snapped during sales - and I am glad I did, it's such a stylish bag! It also happens to have a diagonal cut and mixed textures, a happy coincidence with my dress design. My denim jacket is by Old Navy - I like their classic and affordable denim. It's funny but only now looking back at the pictures I realized that it supports the blue necklace. I never really analyze my outfits while putting them together, I just go by feeling, and it often works out just fine. (Come to think, it's pretty much my approach to everything. so if you ask me why I did what I did, I get in a stupor, and never really have a comprehensive answer. How about, 'Just because?' Haha.)



Now you're expecting me to tell you what I found at thrift shops, right? Well, that's a whole other story. We visited a few in the last couple of weeks, and the list of finds would be too long. But I'll share one of my favorite discoveries - this lamp. It's a vintage Stiffel, a trusty old American lighting brand with a good reputation for solid brass lamp base. Justin said his parents had a few at their home (and it was an elegant home made with love and artistic attention to detail since his Mom was a true artist, and both of his parents loved history and antiques, and designed their home from scratch together. Something that we'd love to be able to do one day).



But going back to our lovely little cottage for the time being, you can see that we reposition my new vintage desk to nestle under the window - it fits perfectly between our porch  glass door and a fireplace as if it was destined to be there. (You can see the desk in my previous post HERE.) The new lamp sits on it quite happily - I suspect that, just as the desk itself, the lamp is another mutt - a midcentury fantasy based on historic Victorian lamps (a student lamp, a candlestick lamp etc.) - you agree with me? Nevertheless, I love my new friends very much, and the quality is simply amazing. The new and even old vintage Stiffel brass lamps go for a couple hundred bucks and up. I found mine at a local Goodwill for only $12. Since that, I found more, but this one is the most unique and striking.


Our romantic outing wouldn't be complete without photos of a sunset beach and couples in love, and of course the Moon herself, lover's best friend. Can you see what Justin's new camera is capable of? You can actually observe what's going on up there!



If you like this outfit, you might also enjoy these:


Thank you so much for reading and coming back for a bit more of chit-chatting, educating me about cool old stuff, and hopefully inspiration for your own lives!

Lots of love to you all!


20 comments:

  1. Natalia you look fabulous! So many wonderful pictures. I would like to travel to the ocean....
    XO Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tina, I'd love to travel too! One day, we will be able to do that again... Lots of love!

      Delete
  2. You look like summer! I understand what you say about those days, moments so lovely the pandemic seems to fade and life is just good. I felt it walking the dog last Saturday on an unusual 70 degree day, park with people laughing and hanging out, frisbees flying... I love your lamp. My daughter kept the garage sale find. I'm on the search for both table and floor lamp. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam! I am so glad that my vintage finds inspire you. I've decided to slowly build our home from vintage and secondhand finds like these, and I am amazed just how many adorable things we've already found, very affordable and sometimes just cheap (but not cheap in quality!). Good luck with your search!

      Delete
  3. You look absolutely beautiful in that maxi dress. Love the statement necklace and the denim jacket. Fab photosπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ivana! Lovely to hear from you, my dear! Lots of love!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your lovely comment. I hope you're doing well.

      Delete
  4. What a stunning dress, and fabulous photos too, Natalia. Justin's photo of the moon is just incredible, but so are the photos taken at the beach. Your lamp was a most wonderful find! Would you believe I have a Summer dress in a similar pattern to your curtains :-)
    Oh, yes, I do sometimes have fleeting glimpses of life before the pandemic. I find these moments bittersweet. Sending lots of virtual hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Ann! I can totally see you in a bright floral orange dress like that! I'd wear one myself, hehe! Thank you for your compliments on Justin's photos, he will be happy to hear. We will go through this dark period, and get to light again. Lots of love!

      Delete
  5. Thta dress is gorgeous on you and in those warm, earhy colours I always associate with you.
    The beach looks wonderful and Justin's moon shot is fantastic.
    I love your desk complete with inquisitive cat and the fabulous Buddha head planter. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vix! Cats are epitome of curiosity, aren't they? Justin will be happy to hear that you liked his moon shot, and I am over the moon happy that you appreciate my new planter! Lots of love!

      Delete
  6. Looking so fabulous in this dress, really lovely earthy colours and diagonal design!, so cool!. And also fabulous accessories, you're brilliant!. So lovely that you could enjoy the beach and even eating outside, which is something I miss particularly!.
    The lamp and desk look stunning together, a marriage made in heaven!
    And so fantastic photos!, totally inspiring and evocative!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica! I am glad that you appreciated the accessories, I thought they added an especially fun touch. Love the lamp on this little desk, they seem to be happy! Hopefully we'll be able to eat out sitting on a patio soon! We really need that, don't we? Lots of love, my dear!

      Delete
  7. very pretty dress!!
    love the diagonal pattern and the colours!
    since a while i would like to visit a beach too. just sitting in fine sand and staring at the waves :-D
    your new lamp is gorgeous - the warm brass adds extra shine to your already cosy home..... having the desk under the window i great for daydreaming while writing i guess ;-D
    sweet cat!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beate! I understand your desire, sea is healing, everything seems better after visiting it... Glad you liked the lamp! It's really a handsome one. I spotted a similar kind of lamp while watching The Crown. There must be a name for it, but we haven't been able to find it yet. Lots of love!

      Delete
  8. When the sun comes up, everything looks much nicer. For the moment, I can feel just like you and forget about the miserable year. I will then be happy to see your photos and your beautiful personal style. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Safija, how wonderful to hear from you! I had no idea that you're on Blogger too. I will check out your blogs! I know what you mean, it's madness for so many reasons... Beauty will save the world. Kindness, beauty and love. Lots of love to you and yours, my friend!

      Delete
  9. Dear Natalia, what a great dress with the hat! Love it! Such nice colours and the diagonal pattern is right what it makes spcial.
    Wowwww, the sunset at the beach. I am yourning so much. Last time a saw the sea is 6 years ago...I miss the rush of waves and the smell of the air round there. Love, stay well! Sunni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you, Sunni! I hope you will have a nice beach experience soon!! Stay healthy, dear!

      Delete