Monday, February 1, 2016

Textures and Texts. Write and Link #7

 

This dress could be prescribed by doctors as color therapy, which I need in winter due to lack of sun. It is so easy to style - take it into neutral palette if you wish, or into reds, or purples, or dramatic black - so many options here. At first, I picked orange. Then I started second-guessing myself and asked Justin's opinion between two coats - he voted for the orange one. I was slightly concerned that it would feel a little too much, but it ended up being just right for me.


The dress has a resemblance to a sweater dress, though it is made of a thin beautifully textured fabric and fully lined - a good lighter alternative to sweater dresses. If you like this pattern and design, check out Chico's web site, the dress is still available on sale. I also found a teal option on the Nordstrom web site, look for plus size dresses there. It is gorgeous teal, made by London Times, but virtually the same dress. I find it very flattering and also very comfy.


The necklace is by Chico's as well, I bought it a year ago or so, but haven't worn it till just now. It's a bit clunky, but I was drawn to the wood and natural stones, and I like how it plays with the stripes of the dress. It might be good with sweaters too. I'm still not sure whether I will leave it the way it is or ask a jeweler to cut the stones into more elegant shapes. What would be your choice?


Speaking of accessories, Sylvia of 40plusstyle.com is launching a live webinar this Saturday and inviting you to join her and many other women who are interested in learning to improve their style by using accessories. I enjoyed watching this video where Sylvia talks about her personal style journey.




Dress - Chico's
Coat (old) - Lands' End
Boots - Naturalizer
Bag (super old) - Cole Haan
Earrings and necklace - Chico's
Bracelet - Turkish shop

Linking up with Visible Monday &


To those of you who are interested in creative writing, I'm experimenting with the format this month. In the past, I announced an inspirational "opening" phrase a month ahead and then opened a link-up for one last week of the month. This time, in the spirit of celebrating more creative freedom and in hopes of encouraging more writers to publish their work and link it with other's, I offer a link-up free from either a suggested topic or format, which will stay open for the entire month of February. Write whatever you want, in whatever form and genre inspire you, and link as many texts (pieces of creative writing) as you want to this post during February!

If a defined form and/or inspirational phrase helps you, then stick with a short story (around 1000 words) and work with the phrase "Love is a funny word..."

May you stay inspired!


26 comments:

  1. you can totally rock this color combo!! justin is right :-)
    i like the pattern of that dress! and it has all of your colors in it! with the necklace - *thinking hard...* - the huge gemstones look wrong on the playful pearly strings - maybe you can take them off and put them on a simple chain or a band??? so you have 2 necklaces in the end :-)
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your ideas, Justin also offered to either remove the stones or have them cut by a jeweler. I will wait and see how I feel later. I kind of like the clunkiness of it - unusual.

      Delete
  2. These colours are so you! They seem so natural, as if you were meant to wear something like that. That's what personal style is all about: instantly recognisable as you at your best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. El vestido esta hermoso con su combinacion de colores/gracias

    ReplyDelete
  4. These colors are gorgeous on you! Also, I have that Lands End coat, I wish I had gotten a dozen...such a pretty color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now regret that I did not purchase all the colors they offered that year - mulberry and teal were fantastic too! :)

      Delete
  5. That is indeed a flattering dress - love the colors and the design. You wear it beautifully! xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These colours in your dress and its shape are just so you and I do really like it with your burnt orange coat. For what its worth I would probably remove the chunky pieces from this necklace and create another with them on say a simple leather string.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Natalia you look great in this dress. I love the colours and your accessoires.
    Have a nice day, kisses Tina

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad not to have lost you, my dearest friend
    Tons of love
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. At first thought you had two matching bangles due to the striping of the sleeves!
    I like the angled striping, so flattering.
    Interesting necklace. I would find it hard to wear, but it looks great on this.
    Thinking hard about a poem!
    Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this dress on you and think you did a perfect job styling it!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Would love for you to stop by & join TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how the other coat looked with the dress but this orange one looks simply fantastic! Such a reach colour! I love your necklace just the way it is now, those roughly cut stones give it a special charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you vote for leaving it the way it is. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. I think the idea behind it is that it's really visible from the distance (statement piece indeed) - you know how there are intricate, delicate jewelry which are almost invisible from a distance, you really need to take a close look to appreciate... this one is almost the opposite.

      Delete
  12. I must agree with Justin, the orange coat was indeed the perfect pairing with this dress. Perhaps some other coat would also be nice, but seeing this combo just feels so right. You look fantastic in that dress...and I really like your boots. The necklace is amazing !! I love seeing outfits like this...feminine, colourful, playful----just my cup of tea:)

    I see there is a new writer link up...I will join in if I manage but I'm on the road at the moment and have to reply on borrowing other people's laptops so I'm not sure will I make it.

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link-up is open for the whole month, Ivana - hope you'll get inspired to write and link! Happy travels! :)

      Delete
  13. I adore you in these rich spicy shades. I'm surprised you haven't worn that stunning necklace before, its absolutely gorgeous. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you find this necklace gorgeous! Oh I'm rubbish at wearing necklaces. I have so many - I'm really drawn to them, but most of them feel too heavy to wear, so I store them as a collection most of the time. :)

      Delete
  14. The orange coat is great and it goes so well with the dress! As to the necklace, I'd leave it as it is now. These dangling stones look really nice.If you don't like how beads go with the stones maybe you could try removing the stones and making another necklace out of them?

    Hugs!:)) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Natalia
    I love this almost ombre effect dress, the colors are so beautiful. I am pleased to see the orange coat with it, and I love the natural stones of the necklace, it compliments the dress so well! You do look amazing! Enjoy the writing link up, one day i will add something!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. such a magnificent dress, lovely shades and lovely faux draped effect, and it looks amazing matching your beautiful orange coat (which I love!)
    those rusty warm colors are wonderful! and you look gorgeous in them!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  17. que belo seu blog, venho sempre aqui,
    porque como sou um pouco gordita,
    aqui acho inspiração, para meu look

    bacione

    blog de crochê

    ReplyDelete