Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Finest


It's the beginning of vacation season, and my blogging friends post from all sorts of beautiful, exciting places - new cities, new countries, where they travel. Looking at these pictures, you might think that I am also on a vacation, perhaps exploring grand castles somewhere in Europe.


In fact, I am still in my American hometown - that's what I came to call Tacoma, Washington. I only landed here 9 years ago, and my love of Tacoma did not begin immediately, which is quite understandable, as her bigger and better-known brother Seattle offers so many exciting opportunities for exploration. But gradually, Tacoma won over my heart. It is a city with a warm small town atmosphere, easy traffic, fantastic geographical location, appreciation for culture, arts and children's education and some breathtaking historical architecture, such as Stadium High School, a historical landmark and, as one of the vintage postcards says, "finest high school in the United States" (vintage post cards source).


The school is built on a hill overlooking Puget Sound to the north and Mt Rainier to the east. On the photo above, you see me looking at our neighborhood (photo below).


You can read the whole story behind this grand building following the school link above, but in a few words, it all began back in 1891. The architects Hewitt and Hewitt were working on what had to become a fancy hotel. You see, at one point Tacoma was developing very successfully and many businesses were flourishing thanks to the newly built railroad. (The Railroad was routed through Tacoma and on to Seattle, which is why the equally fast growing Port Townsend on a peninsula across the Sound stopped growing, even though they had big dreams of becoming the New York of the West - I wrote their story in the earlier post City of Dreams.) The style of the new hotel was reminiscent of a French chateau. Bricks from China and sandstone from Italy were used in the construction (they used these materials as ballast in cargo ships coming to the Port of Tacoma).





But the depression (the Panic of 1893) interrupted the grand plans, and the construction was abandoned. In 1904, Tacoma Public Schools bought and began the reconstruction of the building, damaged by a massive fire in 1898. The new school opened in 1906, and the "bowl" stadium in 1910, which gave the name not only to the school, but to the whole district of Tacoma where the school is located.




What were we doing at this wonderful location? It is the school where our daughter would go after she graduates from her middle school - our address is assigned to this particular high school. And I love the idea just because of this magical, imaginative historical building, though there are many other great aspects of studying there. But our school district offers an opportunity to all students to choose a high school which fits their interests best, and Anya is interested in pursuing some other avenues, which we totally support.




So last night, we listened to her school choir concert at the Stadium Performing Arts Center, a modern hall with beautiful acoustics. I am amazed with the Music Department of her middle school, with the talented enthusiastic teachers who love music, love their job and love kids, which makes them, in my book, the finest. They are not afraid to work on complicated pieces, such as Fa Una Canzone, an Italian madrigal from the 16 century. 



As always, to celebrate my daughter, I try to incorporate something she loves into my outfit. She is into black these days, and so was I last night, total rock chic for my favorite girl on earth and beyond... You rock!


Moto jacket - Christian Siriano for Lane Bryant
Jumpsuit - Chico's (old)
Necklace - Talbots (old)
Pumps - Rockport (1 or 2 years old)
Clutch - Cole Haan (old)

Photos by Justin

* * *

18 comments:

  1. What a wonderfull post about a wonderfull town an building. The picture from anya and you is amazing. You both look great in this location.
    Have a nice day,k dass isses Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a luck that the hotel was bankrott before opened - must be great to learn in such cool building :-)
    anya is such a cool kid!!!! so wonderful to see her growing up and to hear about her - did she choose a music/arts high school?
    you my dear look fabulous in almost all black - the suit and jacket are such cool pieces!
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beate! She is still in middle school, we'll see what she decides in a year. :)

      Delete
  3. What a spectacular setting. I'm not sure why but I'm thinking of a Wes Anderson film. It does look very European.
    I love your brown outfit in the first series of photos and you both look wonderful together. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vix! I haven't watched his movies, but I can picture an adventure movie with such a striking castle involved. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, this building is amazing. It makes me think of a Disney film. I also love castles.

    Jasmine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is especially surprising to find it in the US - not too many castles here. :)

      Delete
  5. I recognize the orchestra outfits though now my D is all black. You look fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an absolutely beautiful building to study in. I'm so happy it has survived. The talent in the video clip was amazing. And of course you look smashing in your black, in tribute to your daughter. Love the moto jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a beautiful event, and such a magnificent building, even more magnificent 'cause it's a highschool!, that's particularly cool in my opinión!
    Love that you enjoy your little town charming personality and landscapes, and love that you share with us!
    And you look absolutely elegant with a touch of rock-chic!, I'm loving your jacket and that beautiful necklace!. Your girl is so talented, lovely to see her growing!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica! I agree - to have such a gorgeous castle here is beyond words amazing, to have it as a school... simply unbelievable!

      Delete
  8. You two look beautiful. The place is magical and I'd be happy to walk there too. Great place for imagination to run.
    All the best to you and Anya! I hope she'll make her dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just know that she will. :)
      I knew you'd appreciate this building! Perfect for inspiring some fantasy art and scary stories. :)

      Delete
  9. I'm a bit advocate of being a tourist in one's own town. This city seems to have a lot to offer and I'm happy you live in a place you love so much. Good luck to Anya in her studies, so great you support all of her interest. That is important for kids.

    You look so lovely together. Sweet family photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ivana! Curiosity doesn't know where the border is between exploring your own backyard or the whole world. :)

      Delete