Sunday, September 24, 2017

Arboretum in Autumn

 

This Fall, when it comes to dresses (my favorite item of clothing), I am looking at budget options. I learned to trust my intuition, and when I feel a nudge to look at a certain store, even if it is not my usual shopping spot, I don't second-guess myself and don't ask why. This strategy pays off - I find plenty of beautiful, feminine affordable options. Perhaps the most unexpected find was the red dress from my previous post (HERE). Target started doing much more in terms of stylish plus size clothing in the last couple of years. The red dress that many of you liked so much is by Ava & Viv, Target's plus size line that they launched two or three years ago. At the price of $35, it won't break any pockets. It is my first purchase from this brand, so I really can't say much about the quality, other than I am pleasantly surprised. We will have to see how it holds up, of course. I can recommend to pay attention to the Who What Wear line as well, which offers both straight and plus sizes. I also found quite a few great dresses at Old Navy, including this beautiful Autumnal boho number. With a 50% discount, it came down to $32.50. So even if you are on a budget, there are wonderful options out there right now for us, plus size girls. Don't be afraid to experiment! Trying something new keeps our wardrobes and our lives exciting.



When I saw this dress, I knew immediately that I would want to take it for a nice walk enjoying mild Fall temperatures. And while I envisioned wearing boots with it, for the first walk I decided to go with these gorgeous Jeffrey Campbell embroidered suede flats, since it is still quite warm and sunny, not muddy/wet just yet. I have a very similar pair of embroidered moccasins by Pikolinos which I bought ages ago (about 10 years I think) and adore so much that I've worn out one pair completely and have been looking for a replacement. This pair is it! It is made of leather (top, inside, soles...everything!) and richly embroidered. Can be worn as mules so trendy these days, but I actually prefer them this way.


I grabbed one of my old knitted cotton dusters (or cardigans) which you've seen many times before (HERE in 2015, HERE in 2014), and that was enough to keep me warm when I took breaks. We took a nice long walk in the Seattle Arboretum. Autumn hasn't touched the leaves color yet, but it is a beautiful place for a stroll or jog, or bike, whatever you're into this season. One man was using some kind of roller skates looking like skis (with poles and everything), and by the smile on his face, he had a blast! For Justin and I, it is just simple old-fashioned walking, and getting up the hill is quite challenging as is. Nevertheless, it is one of most romantic walks in Seattle, and we certainly will be back to see the Autumn colors soon.


I've checked my photo archive, and learned that the last time we visited Arboretum was on October 20, 2015. I didn't post photos from that day on the blog back then, so I will show just a few of them here...










What we did not know back then, that just a few days earlier, on October 16, 2015, there was a ribbon-cutting ceremony for a newly donated carved totem pole called "Origin of the Eagle Clan". So it became our brand new discovery this year. Totem poles are a unique example of Native American culture, as well as unique example of folk storytelling.There is beautiful imagery as well as beautiful poetry about them. (Find out more about the meaning behind this totem pole here.)




There were more discoveries and surprises along the way, including Pacific Connections Gardens which we haven't seen before, and delicate purple woodland flowers blossoming here and there. I have no idea what these sweet little blooms are (photo above), but I recognized crocuses (photo below). I didn't know that they bloom in Fall - I always considered them exclusively Spring flowers. Apparently, they can appear in Winter and Fall too!





This is such an unusual shape of a terracotta container, isn't it? I like how it plays with my purse color and fringes, as well as my new cool shoes.



Are you enjoying the new season?

Dress - Old Navy
Shoes - Jeffrey Campbell via Nordstrom Rack
Duster - old (Chico's)
Purse - old (via Eloquii)
Malachite ring, earrings - Justin's gift

Location: Seattle Arboretum

Linking with Visible Monday

* * *


SUPERSEAL, our new bilingual book, is coming in 2017!

Illustration by Andrei Lialin

Find our books at
in Seattle, Tacoma, Federal Way, Washington

Connect with me on
INSTAGRAM     FACEBOOK     YOUTUBE


20 comments:

  1. what pretty dress and very chic shoes!!!
    you look fabulous in it and with the warm light and the lush park this are fantastic photos! nice to see your sweet family too! <3 <3 <3
    thats are not crocus - its "herbstzeitlose", only blooming in fall and very poisonous. the other are "alpenveilchen" - origin not from the alps in europe but from the andes in south america. alpenveilchen we use to have as pretty blooming indoor plants over winter.
    :-D
    wish i could do such chic and leisurely walk with you.......
    hugest hugs!
    p.s: have many ideas but too much rain and darkness here! but forecast is better.
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would know everything about the flowers! :) I looked up the German names, thank you! These are commonly called autumn crocuses here, apparently, but they are not true crocuses. I don't know why I haven't seen them before. They look very much like crocuses, but with very pale stems. And I haven't recognized cyclamen without their characteristic leaves!! They are very common as a container plant in Russia, too. :)

      Fingers crossed for a better weather!! <3

      Delete
  2. Hi, your dresses look lovely. Very autumnal. The pink flowers I would say are cyclamen. Quite common at this time of year and very colourful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, they are cyclamen, but without leaves (they probably grow later?). I see it now. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi, your dresses look lovely. Very autumnal. The pink flowers I would say are cyclamen. Quite common at this time of year and very colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to call those flowers "winter crocus". There are some around here now ( in Bellingham), I have only ever seen them in that colour.
    Another lovely dress, I like that look on you best of all. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan! I am drawn to this "simple" yet feminine style right now. I just follow my nose, do whatever suits my mood. Glad that this style resonates with you!

      Either I haven't seen these flowers, or haven't paid attention before. I read in Wiki article that they are called autumn crocus, meadow saffron or naked lady. :) They do look a bit fragile, vulnerable...

      Delete
  5. Oh Alpenveilchen :)
    You look so beautiful in this stunning dress and wonderful stitched shoes ❤️
    Nice to walk with you and your lovely family, Natalia.
    Much love and a big hug, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fully approve of your autumnal hued boho dress, Natalia. It really suits you and the arboretum. I love walking among trees, which fascinate me, whether it's in a park, a wood, or an arboretum. Oh, and the embroidered flats are lovely, too. The crocuses are autumn flowering ones, and here in Belgium they are known as "naked beguines", probably because they have no foliage. Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann! Here is what they say about these flowers in Wiki article:
      The name "naked lady" comes from the fact that the flowers emerge from the ground long after the leaves have died back.
      <3

      Delete
  7. Another beautiful dress, Natalia! I'd love to see it worn with that stunning wrap, the colours would go perfectly!
    I love your shoes and the tassels on your bag - but I expect you knew that already!
    Our local park is called the arboretum! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicky! I must try to wear it with my wrap, good idea! :)

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful new dress, and the most lovely walk to take it on. Your part of the world has one gorgeous scene after another. Love the half moon, xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello from Australia, I love this ensemble, you look stunning,
    Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  10. So lovely!!! That color wrap is perfection for Fall!!
    - wwww.inmyjoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I am, like you enjoying the new season! I love the change of season, but am sad to see summer go.. your dress is lovely, so very beautiful, the print and the border! Loved the photo of you walking in it. Also love the embroidered flats.
    And that rich, cozy shawl, so very beautiful.
    Fabulous photos of nature's splendor and of you and Justin!
    xoxo, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely in your Autumn toned dress Natalia and those shoes and tasell bag are the perfect finishing touches. Autumn is also my favourite season with its clear days and glorious colours.The Aboreteum looks a wonderful place for a visit this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another lovely dress! You look gorgeous in these fall colours. The embroidered shoes are so beautiful, and they look very comfortable as well. You match the scenery to perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Piękne jesienne zdjęcia:)))bardzo mi się podoba Twoja sukienka i ten ciepły kolorowy szal:))Pozdrawiam serdecznie:)))

    ReplyDelete