Monday, April 25, 2016

Fields of Tulips


It's almost the end of April, and I still haven't written about our Spring break adventures earlier this month. Sorry for being a little distracted lately - I am getting ready to share good news with you soon, but for now let me continue sharing our day trips.

April is a tulip month here, in the State of Washington. If you happen to be here any time during April, make sure you visit our famous Skagit Valley Tulip Festival - and if you happen to live here, I am sure you know what I'm talking about, and you most probably share my enthusiasm. Justin, Anya and I visited Roozen Gaarde, founded by William Roozen, an immigrant from Holland, in the mid-century (last century, though his family have been known for growing tulips since 1700s). Mr Roozen's dream of growing tulips in the valley of Skagit River, where soil is very similar to the one in his homeland, not only came true, but his company became the largest bulb producer in the US!

All the photos are taken either by Justin or by Anya - they both felt inspired by the sea of blooming tulips of all colors of the rainbow. You can see Mount Baker behind the fields (photo above) - the third highest mountain in Washington, an active volcano and one of the snowiest places in the world. Will you come and wander with me through these beautiful fields of not gold, but tulips? (Beautiful song, nevertheless.) 






















It was a warm and sunny day in early April, and it felt nice to get ice-cream cones after all. I also visited the market place and purchased a few bunches of colorful tulips to decorate our home (cut tulips stay in a vase for one week) and a pot of tulips which bloomed for two weeks, and will be planted in my garden next Fall, so I can see them again next year, if I do it right. 

There are a few photos of the garden itself - a beautifully landscaped area with myriads of exotic tulips, some of which don't even look like tulips at all! You can order them to plant in your own garden.








Skagit Tulip Festival - http://www.tulipfestival.org
Roozen Gaarde - http://www.tulips.com

Photos by Justin and Anna

My outfit:
Denim shirt - Eloquii 
(my first purchase from this brand; seems good quality and runs true to size)
Linen pants - Old Navy
Sandals - Merrell
Necklace - Lane Bryant
Hat - I left it at home!!

Linking up with Visible Monday

26 comments:

  1. That was a treat to read on a wet, cold Monday morning. I'm happy some of your day came home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh, you look like two shiny beautiful flowers in the middle of the tulips, mwahahah, you're lovely!
    Such an amazing place to visit, I'm admiring all the colors and that pretty sunny day, which is like a present!!. And you look so comfy and cute, love your shirt, those details and accessories you're wearing, and your red sandals!!
    besos & flores

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredibly inspiring to visit this festival! I just wanted to wear something neutral enough that day, and now when I look at the photos, I am not completely happy with the outfit, but I like the way flowers contrast with my shirt and pants. I just wish I did not forget my hat that day!

      Delete
  3. Love all the vibrant colors of the tulips Natalia. Your daughter is growing up into a mini you. Beautiful necklace too. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elsie! Anna is definitely her own person, but I have a feeling we're becoming friends as she grows up.

      Delete
  4. So beautiful, Natalia! I thought we were in Holland for a moment. Thank you for sharing these wonderful scenes, xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing pictures. I thought you were in Holland. There are so many tulip fields in Holland. They look like this ;)
    Fantastic colours of tulips and amazing bracelet Natalia. You look like summer.
    Have a good week, Kisses Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful tradition, thanks to immigrants from Holland. Thank you, Tina!

      Delete
  6. Well, as someone married to a Dutchman, this is heaven! I was scrolling through the post and Tall Brown Fox is sitting next to me on his computer and he peaked over and said 'is that home'???? Ha, ha! No, I said but they are 'Dutch tulips'!!!
    Fabulous colours. We had tulips at our wedding. I adore them.

    And your necklace is beautiful with your outfit.

    http://petitesilvervixen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! It sounds like a great compliment coming from a Dutchman and his wife :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, you are so generous to share all of these fantastic photos! The sight of them just made my day! Such brilliant colors, I am glad Anya was taking photos too. She is so grown up!
    Love your outfit, the denim and striped chambray crops. Your pretty necklace. All so sweet. I am glad you came home with a nice bunch, too!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Elle! It was a glorious day, and I couldn't wait to share this beauty with all of you!!

      Delete
  8. Just wow! What a beautiful scenery! Never seen it in real life, only on photos. Well, maybe one day... Simply breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never guess what strong feelings these fields evoke when you see them in real life, Olga! Hope you can visit some day.

      Delete
  9. What a gorgeous place and beautiful vibrant colours. I have never been to Washington but it's on my list so will try to do it during festival time. I love your outfit you look fab and very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April can be a little dreary in Washington, but the festival is definitely worth visiting.

      Delete
  10. A perfect outfit for beautiful day in the tulip fields. I went to Holland many many years ago and got to experience the real thing and it was pretty awesome.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a festival called Floriade which makes pictures with tulips. Such photo opportunities!
    I love the photo of the tulip bending low in the ditch. Also the smiling Anya and Mum and your satisfied face carrying home the magic!
    xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was Anya's photo! She has such an artistic eye!

      Delete
  12. I have never seen so many tulips in one place! I really like your relaxed outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the outfit. I was not completely happy with it when I looked back on the photos. But it was comfortable, relaxed, and the denim shirt protects from wind! :)

      Delete
  13. lovely casual outfit...and that tulip field is majestic in its beauty.

    ReplyDelete