Monday, April 18, 2016

Symphonic Django: the US Premiere in Tacoma


It's hot over here - 80 F by the sea and 90 F in the valley! But the real heat has happened last Saturday when Justin, Anna and I attended the most delightful concert - the legendary music of the genius guitarist Django in the symphonic orchestration format which was, as they say, a dream of his. Two hours of inspired, timeless, heartwarming music with the world renowned American guitar player John Jorgenson, brilliant UK born violinist Ben Powell and three wonderful local talents: Neil Andersson (guitar), Jon Hamar (bass) and Greg Ruby (guitar). And of course, Sarah Ioannides, the conductor and music director of the Tacoma Symphony since 2014 (I wrote about her first season grand opening, with the unforgettable Dame Evelyn Glennie, here). We've been to a few concerts since this dynamite lady started conducting the TSO, and watching what she is doing has been an amazing experience for which I am very grateful. It seems that the Tacoma symphonic music scene exploded in all sorts of unexpected, fresh directions. 


Not only did we have a chance to witness the US premiere of Symphonic Django, but we also were able to watch the musicians playing up-close, as we got front row seats. Time flew by so quickly! Other than Django Reinhardt's music, we were also presented with a John Jorgenson piece which was very moving.  


If you're not a stranger to the Old World charm, its art, music and the general aura, you are probably more than familiar with Django Reinhardt's beautiful tunes, as many of them became jazz standards. If you're like myself, not familiar with the personality of Django Reinhardt, then I welcome you to read his biography - I guarantee it won't leave you untouched. In his very short 43 years of life (my age!), Django influenced and changed the world of guitar and jazz music forever. Surviving a dramatic fire and almost losing one leg, he was able to play with only two fingers on his left hand. He composed timeless pieces which became jazz standards, created the whole new genre of European Jazz, or Gypsy Jazz, and won over the New Continent, the homeland of jazz. An intelligent man, he was completely illiterate. He is recognized as one of the greatest guitarists in history. He lived and wrote his music in one of the darkest periods of  world history (1910-1953), in one of the most tragic places of that time (Belgian born, he moved to Paris and was not successful in his attempts to escape from occupied France). And yet, his music is filled with light and the love of life. Combining Gypsy, Parisian and American streaks, it is perhaps some of the most uplifting art that exists and a breath of fresh air for anyone who is romantic or rather child-like at heart.

A short Django Reinhardt bio you can read here, and Michael Dregni's book dedicated to his life and music here.



I wanted to dedicate my outfit to this amazing musician and his unique life and art - I'm sure you'll recognize the 1940s influences. Just a few words about the dress. It is my first purchase with Kiyonna, the brand that creates beautiful, classical dresses for plus size women. This is a genuine wrap dress, made of stretchy fabric that repeats your feminine shape. I'll be honest - I feel ridiculously pretty and happy wearing this dress. I picked red and metallic gold and bronze accessories, Mary Jane shoes and fishnet tights to emphasize the vintage style of my dress.


Another reason I was happy that we could watch musicians so closely is our daughter's latest interest in guitar - not every day you can watch such brilliant players at work, practically face to face. What a fantastic night it was. Thank you, all of you talented people, for bringing this magical music to our town! I also learned that there is an established Djangofest Northwest, an annual event near us. I'll do my best to go and check it out this coming September - Django music is absolutely my cup of tea!

A Girl with Guitar. 1989 & 2015


Dress - Kiyonna
Jacket - Chico's (old)
Shoes - Dansko (old)
Purse - via TJ MAXX (old)
Earrings - Turkish shop
Necklace - thrifted (Goodwill)

Linking up with Visible Monday

* * *

32 comments:

  1. Dear Natalia, you look great in this amazing flower dress. Spend time with good music is wonderfull. Love the last picture
    mother- daughter ♥️
    Wish you a good day, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tina! I don't know whether Kiyonna ships to Europe, but check them out - so many beautiful and completely wearable dresses.

      Delete
  2. Is that a photo of you and your daughter with a guitar? Isn't that lovely? So nice you both have such photographs, you should frame them if you already didn't.

    I heard about Django but I didn't know that much about him and it was nice to read about his life. I'm playing this video right now and I must say this music is delightful! I'm sure that the time just flew by at the concert...listening to live music is always a special experience, to me it feels like magic.

    Your dress is wonderful, I love its print...and everything about it...and it looks great on you. Such a feminine and ladylike outfit! You look lovely.

    p.s. I mailed the illustration last Saturday:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ivana, for your kind words - and for the illustration. :) Yes, it is me at 16 and my daughter at about 13. This music... I am ready to listen all day long! It's great for anything.

      Delete
    2. so great to hear that the music scene there is developing more and more....I can hardly imagine a day without listening to music....and as I said, live music is a special experience.

      Delete
  3. Is that you with the guitar, Natalia? It's a wonderfully photo.
    That dress does look pretty on you, no wonder you feel good wearing it. Anna is looking so grown up.
    xxxc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vix! Yes, it's me with my brother's guitar. I believe it was my birthday, and my Dad took my photos. Anna is growing so fast!

      Delete
  4. Glad you feel ridiculously pretty wearing this dress!! because it's a fabulous dress and you're gorgeous!!, love how you created that 40's vibe using subtle details and looking also very actual!
    I should love to listen to that magnificent music, Django was a genius!. And I'm loving to see both you girls posing with your guitars, such lovely pics!!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica! Somehow I imagine you liking this kind of music - there is so much joy of life in you!

      Delete
  5. Love the dress and your family night out. So sweet the side by side pics of you and Anna with guitar. I'd have those framed as a duo=picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good idea about framing, I'm thinking to retake the photo of Anna and see what I can do. Thank you, Sam!

      Delete
  6. natasha - you fit the gypsi-swing-theme perfectly with your gorgeous dress and pretty accessories!!!!!
    i´m familiar with django reinhardt, love gypsy-swing for its full-of-life dance-ability :-) the concert sounds fantastic!!! sadly german law do not let me see the video....
    gorgeous pics of you and anja with guitars!
    ton of hugs! lets swing :-)
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about dance-ability, Beate - but I haven't danced for ages. I used to take classes many years ago. Thank you, my dear!

      Delete
  7. Music is like a healthy drug! It changes the way we feel and think - and to sit close it the best thing. Love that dual pic of you and your daughter. And your current look = fabulous. Thanks for sharing, xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said about music, Patti! And yes, it was a perfect concert to sit so close. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Such a lovely dress! You look very pretty :)

    Blessings,
    Edye // Gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the dress, and I find I am typing very fast, in time to the music that you embedded! Yes! :)
    Love the floral, the little flounce, and this glorious music!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elle! This music cheers up pretty fast :)

      Delete
  10. Elegantly beautiful outfit. Dark florals always make my knees swoon. They're just the right mix of bold and gentle, chic and sweet. How exciting that you were able to make it to this lovely music event. The upcoming festival sounds like it would be a blast, too, and I hope you're able to attend.

    Many hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! I sure will report if we attend the festival in the Fall. This is such a happy dress to wear!

      Delete
  11. Such a great concert! I like Django Reinhardt and I would enjoy it sooooo much too. You look great with the guitar and without:) This dress is very nice. I'm sure this was very inspirational event for Anna.
    Hugs!:)) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not always easy to please a teenager, but yes, she was very moved by the concert! Thank you, my dear!

      Delete
  12. You both look fantastic before...and now.The dress has an exeptionally beautiful pattern and you accessorised it nicely with gold. The music and the bio of Django Reinhardt are so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly, glad to see you here again! It is such a playful dress, and I think that combining it with a golden military jacket is unexpected and fresh, I was pleased with the juxtaposition. :)

      Delete
  13. What a lovely floral dress and it is perfect to wear for a night out! That purse is great too! That concert sounds like it was amazing and music that would be enjoyable to listen to by everyone!

    Rebecca
    http://www.winnipegstyle.ca/Blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rebecca! I am glad you stopped by. I am always mesmerized by your creative outfits!

      Delete
  14. What fabulous colours and what a great shape that frock is. And you've accessorised it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Buttercup! From such a lover of dresses as yourself, it's a great compliment. :)

      Delete
  15. Stunning dress Natalia, and a fabulously flattering shape of you! Va va voom!!!! The colours really pop. What a beautiful outfit to wear to the concert. It must have been a magical evening. I love the photo of you and your daughter standing near the fish sculpture!

    http://petitesilvervixen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jacqueline! I think the dress looks even prettier with high heels, but it is sweet this way too. :)

      Delete