Friday, April 29, 2016

Like a Russian Play


When Pantone revealed the colors of the year of 2016, I thought that there would not be too many things for me this year. "Oh good, I'll save money then," I thought. Rose Quartz and Serenity, or, translated into my unsophisticated color vocabulary, pale pink and pale blue (I know, it's not the same!), just aren't my colors. I do think they are both pretty and serene, I just did not think I would want to wear them. But appetite grows with eating, as they say, and at this point wild horses would not be able to drag me from my experiments with style. To my surprise, I soon found myself getting into pretty blues and pinks. And when I saw this dress, I fell head over heels for its tender beauty.


Valentina Ponomaryova sings "Под лаской плюшевого пледа", 
song in the genre of Russian romance (or Russian Gypsy song)
for A Cruel Romance (1984), a movie based on Alexander Ostrovsky's play Without a Dowry (1878)


A bodycon dress can be challenging to wear. But as I grow older, I am gradually coming to accept myself more, and that includes my current shape. And sometimes, I want to wear a bodycon dress, especially a dress with such beautiful, feminine lines. Pairing it with this gorgeous crochet cardigan emphasizes the Victorian vibe. It makes me think of Chekhov and Ostrovsky's plays, Russian dacha, long evenings, filled with heartfelt conversations, tea at a cozy veranda, the beauty and tenderness of this world. If you ever wondered about the legendary enigma of the mystifying Russian soul, think tenderness. The core of the Russian soul is a gentle, compassionate heart which to me, means the ability to see the exact same qualities in the hearts of others, as if they were forever innocent and child-like.




All three pieces that shine in this outfit are relatively new. The dress is available on Kiyonna site in ivory and black (sadly, it is sold out in this beautiful rose hue). The hand crocheted cardigan is by Torrid Insider's Collection. The pumps are by Ivanka Trump. I bought this brand for the first time. They are quite comfortable for such a high heel, though I had to size up to make up for my wide feet. For accessories, I picked my old beloved hand-painted enamel (finift) filigree earrings from Russia and an OPI nail polish, the color called Italian Love Affair. It's soft, but a little brighter than it appears on the photos. A rhododendron spilling its blossoms by our cottage served as a beautiful backdrop for my ensemble.


Anton Chekhov (1897)




Valentina Ponomaryova. "Романс о романсе"

Alexander Gerasimov. After Rain (1935)


Dress - Kiyonna
Crochet cardigan - Torrid
Pumps - Ivanka Trump via DSW
Earrings, purse - old

Linking up with Top of the World Style

* * *


32 comments:

  1. natasha - you should stand in a huge abalone shell and elves let rain blossoms over you!!!!
    venus thats it!
    very romantic and yes "tender" - perfect word for your look today!
    and from my experiences it describes the russian soul perfectly! and i would be very happy to meet you in this gorgeous ensemble on the veranda of a wooden dacha for tea and "krimsekt" and a chat about literature - myself wearing something "etheral" as well <3 <3 <3
    tons of hugs to you my beautiful friend!!!!!! xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dearest! You will talk about literature, and I will listen... do come!! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh Beate, there are no more words to say. You just had said all emotional words. Love this romantic Natalia ♥️.

    <3 Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beate is a great commenter, and so are you, Tina, so sweet!

      Delete
  3. I love this shade of pink. It is so flattering!
    Your crocheted cardigan gives such a romantic shawl like feeling, and the shoes even look lacy.
    Anton Chekov is so effortlessly stylish..I showed him to Bushy for ideas. Interestingly his shoes almost look feminine.
    xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chekhov looks such a dandy here, isn't he? Such a short life - he was practically my age when he died.

      Delete
  4. I love the color with the shawl, so pretty and gracefully elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalia, all I can say is hubba hubba. My goodness woman!! I have never worn a body con dress. I'm not brave enough. Like you, when the colors were announced, I didn't take much interest in them. I'm not really a pastel person, but I wear soft blue on occasion. I've never been big on pink. This shade is lovely on you and quite the departure from your rustic hues. Very coquettish and delicate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda! It's much more brave to speak in front of the audience, or publish a book! :)
      Thank you my dear!

      Delete
  6. Chekhov is my favorite write and you look great in that dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! What's your favorite Chekhov's piece? I want to reread his plays now when I grew up...

      Delete
  7. OMG!!!!! You look like a movie star! I love the dress together with the crochet cardigan (such a lovely crochet piece!!!) and these shoes. Fabulous look of a fabulous lady!
    Thesong is very nice:)
    Hugs:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! You can make a cardigan like this and even prettier - you're such a talented crocheter!

      Delete
  8. So beautiful! I love this pink and I would borrow this outfit from you any day! This outfit looks so pretty and romantic and lovely and you look stunning! I am not rushing out to buy pale pink and pale blue though I already have a couple of things in those colours anyhow so I'm ahead of the trend. I think there is probably a version of blush-pink for everyone and this dress seems to have jut a hint of warmth to it which suits you. It's not a frosty pink and it suits the creamy colour of the shawl. Did I mention you look gorgeous? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You look beautiful in these pale colors, Shawna! It's the only pink dress I own. You can wear the whole outfit when you come for a visit. :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for linking up to Top of the World Style.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! The color, the body-con, the whole look. Thanks so much for linking up, xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Chekhov! One of good things about Croatian high school system is that it makes one read a lot of classical literature (which includes a lot of Russian authors) and that is great because reading literature is a lovely way to learn about the world. That song you shared is very beautiful and melanchonic. It makes me think of old times as well. Perhaps it was better when there was no TV and people used to spend more time keeping one another company and talking. Today we have the virtual world and it is fantastic but in many ways limiting.

    This outfit is spectacular! Very feminine and attractive. You look great in that bodycon dress! Plus, I really like the lace shawl and the heels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also studied Chekhov at school, then university...
      There is a certain amount of charm in those olden times, but as we know from Chekhov, the intelligentsia felt mostly bored and purposeless back then... These days, they could become published authors or video bloggers... so much more openness to fulfill our creativity nowadays, I think.

      Delete
  12. Wow!!! You look amazing in this dress!!! This such a great feminine look.

    Thank you for being a part of TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you soon!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, I am blushing... Thank you for the compliments!

      Delete
  13. Seriously gorgeous outfit! I can't overstate how much I love - and admire the styling of - your open weave shawl and cutout heels. Swoon!

    Oodles of hugs & blissful wishes for May,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very high praise from you, Jessica! Thank you!

      Delete
  14. Just needed to say how gorgeous you look. I love the whole outfit I want it now lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! You can wear it after Shawna is done with it. :)

      Delete
  15. ohhhhhh, awesome dress and love all those evocative images arising from a romantic atmosphere!, you look gorgeous and absolutely adorable!!!, love your crochet shawl, such a perfect accessory!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look stuning in that rose dress and macrame shawl. I love this color on you, it matches your rosy skin flawlessly! The "After Rain" piece, was so evocative, and suited to this post! The flowers behind you, were so pretty too!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete