Tuesday, June 7, 2016

My Birthday Suit


I know what you think! Uh-uh, no such luck today, guys! That was the 1973 birthday suit! This is the 2016 one!


I promised to share with you, so here it is - what I wore to my birthday celebration in May. Both pieces, the dress and the jacket (faux leather) are from a wonderful collaboration between a talented young designer Christian Siriano and a plus size brand Lane Bryant. I love LB collaborations, and was looking forward to this one. At first, I was a little disappointed with the color selection. The colors were beautiful, but they just weren't my best colors. Then I decided to focus on neutrals, like black and white. I am very much drawn to black and white lately, so I chose three pieces (I won't tell you yet what was the third piece).


I'm amazed with the fit - it's perfect, as if it was made for me. Very flattering too, and I can combine both pieces in many ways. I will probably be able to wear this jacket during cool evenings here in the Pacific Northwest. Ferry ride? I have just the right jacket to wear!



I was a bit in a hurry leaving the house, so did not grab any jewelry, but I wore my gorgeous new pumps and cat-eye sunnies (another inexpensive pair of glasses - remember I told you that I got a few?). 1950s rock chic! And look at my amazing daughter - she wanted to match my outfit! She wore her version of a moto jacket, and an A-line skirt over a sun dress. We were two cool chicks! By the way, I was welcomed to the Three Club again (it happens every year, I join the club). What, you don't know about it? Justin is 53, Anya is 13, and I am 43 - we are the Three Club! Anyone wants to join in?


We celebrated in our local restaurant Cliff House - the name says it all, the restaurant is literally built into a cliff overlooking Puget Sound, Mt Rainier and downtown Tacoma. It's on the pricey side, and we've only dined there twice. The view is hard to beat! I will share an old photo and a vintage postcard of the dining room with you. The card can be found in a few different online resources (e.g., here), and dates from 1962. The dining room looks different now, but the view is pretty much the same: the volcano, the city, the port, the Sound...



The old photo is of the restaurant from the side that faces Puget Sound (photo source). It's one of the oldest restaurants around here (since 1925) and a landmark. It was rebuilt after an original tavern burnt down in 1958. A good article about the history and reopening of the restaurant HERE.



Dress and jacket - Christian Siriano for Lane Bryant
Pumps - Ivanka Trump
Purse - via TJ MAXX (old)

* * *

19 comments:

  1. You looked great and Anya and you were matching perfectly:) I'd love the view from these huge windows!
    Hugs:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anya likes to create an outfit that matches mine once in a while - but it always is with her own twist. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. that birthday suit is totally rock chic! the dress is beautiful in many ways and the jacket very cool!!! and no need for jewelry - there is so much going on in both pieces and in that pretty shoes...... anya looks totally cool too!
    posh restaurant with a great view!
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd appreciate the cut of this dress and the details... very designer piece. :) Love you!

      Delete
  3. sooo cool, both chicks :)) Very amazing rock chick. This dress fits totally good. I need more englisch words. I need lessons for blogger comments :)
    Have a good time, I looking for LB in Germany, it's a cool plussize shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tina! You don't need more words - you have such a big heart that I can feel all what you want to say. :)

      Delete
  4. I love how you and Anya have syncronised rockabilly outfits. The mesh detailing on your biker jacket is inspired, you can tell its a designer-inspired piece. Love the shape of the dress with the asymmetric hemline, too.
    Cliff House looks wonderful on that retro postcard. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd love the jacket, Vix - and yes, it really is awesome! It sold out so quickly, I am glad I snapped one. The retro cards are so lovely. :)

      Delete
  5. You are wonderful, and look even better.
    Thank you for the love coming my way from you. I can feel it.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look so pretty! Hope you're having a lovely week xx

    Blessings,
    Edye | Http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful, chic dress! It truly does look like it could have been custom made for you, dear Natalia. Marvelous find and piece to sport for a fun filled birthday celebration (it's so sweet that your daughter wanted to wear a similar outfit to yours). I really enjoyed the hits of vintage that you included in this delightful post - a little vintage is always a good thing, no? :)

    Many hugs & happy (almost) weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love vintage. Lots of my home accessories, dishes and some pieces of furniture are vintage. :)

      Delete
  8. You look like a movie star in that dress! It really looks fantastic on you. Such an amazing dress! I loved both its pattern and cut....very feminine and lady-like....and that mesh jacket with biker jacket cut is the perfect touch of edgy to your outfit. I just love that rockabilly vibe! Those pumps are very elegant btw:)...and that jacket would be a lovely choice for ferry rides indeed.

    How sweet that Anya wore a similar outfit! Her biker jacket is lovely too...Perfectly coordinated mother and daughter retro style outfits. I didn't know about your 3 club! How adorable! I'm happy to see you had such a fabulous birthday day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anya wears what she likes on a daily basis, but sometimes when we go out together she wants to play with her outfit to make me happy I think, and it is very sweet of her. It is a sort of a style dialogue.

      Delete
    2. style dialogue, now that's a great way of putting it. Perhaps in a way we all have style dialogues with one another:)

      Delete
  9. wouuu, you look gorgeous and very elegant, retro-chic modern!, love your jacket, and love your dress and love how they look together!, such a fabulous outfit!
    And it's lovely to see both of you looking so cool, love those bikers!! and that amazing restaurant!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's perhaps one of my most stylish ensembles - Siriano is a gifted designer. :)

      Delete