Thursday, March 1, 2018

Modish Matrons #21: Baroque


Hello dear friends and readers and MODISH MATRONS fans!
It is time for our new theme, and I thought that March would be perfect for BAROQUE!


I can't wait to see my dearest friends TINA und BEATE's posts and outfits to the tiniest details. They always bring joy to my heart, and I encourage you to visit their inspiring blogs. Google Translate will give you a general idea of their writing, if you, like me, don't speak German. But art is a universal language, and it's possible you won't even need translation, since personal style definitely is art!


When I began working on this month's theme, I had only a vague understanding of what the term baroque really means - it's been a while since I studied that period of art history, so I had to re-educate myself. Apparently the word comes from the Portuguese word barocco which means "a pearl of irregular shape." This style of architecture started in Europe in the early 17th century and was encouraged by the Roman Catholic Church as a reaction to the simple forms of Protestant buildings. As it often happens, one form of art influences many others, so music, visual arts and fashion designs which art theorists would have categorized as baroque, soon started appearing throughout Europe.


The task of finding a baroque building to support our photo shoot here in the Pacific Northwest seems a bit insane - it would be like living inside of my favorite Russian folk tale "Go There, I Don't Know Where, Bring Back That, I Don't Know What" ...

What!? 
What I was thinking when I came up 
with this theme for MODISH MATRONS!?

I guess that tale is imprinted on my soul so much that practically my whole life became the search for I Don't Know What! Armed with nothing but adventurous spirit and love of creativity, together with my fearless Real Adventure Man, we went to one of the most beautiful places in Tacoma - the Museum District. At that point, I didn't know where exactly we would take photos, I just followed my nose. The glass sculpture by our beloved Museum of Glass was sparkling in the sun, and we both knew right away that that was that! Our improvised modern take on Baroque was made of glass, steel, water and sunshine, and it was just what we needed - highly ornate "architecture" with the sense of movement and splendor, which are some of the main characteristics of this pompous style.


To recreate this style, I used some of my most "showy", yet still classy accessories, such as pearls and gold, and rich textures: lace, silky and velvety fabrics, and beaded embroidery (my purse).



As fashion lovers, I'm sure many of you are familiar with Sicilian Baroque collection by Dolce and Gabbana (Fall Winter 2013), created with incredibly rich golden embellishments, abundance of lace, embroidery and pearls...


Reading about different "branches" of baroque as well as getting inspiration from the D&G collection, I decided to go with my own version of baroque - Siberian Baroque (you're not surprised now that I chose a white outfit, right?). Despite the fact that it sounds extravagant and rather unlikely, it is actually a real thing, though even I (being from Siberia and studying art, in one form or another, my whole life) wasn't familiar with the term until I started my little research for this post. Siberian Baroque was a style of church built in many Siberian towns by skillful masters in the 18th century. And even though I didn't know the term back then, I sure visited some of these highly ornate buildings when I lived in Krasnoyarsk!

Pokrovsky Sobor in Krasnoyarsk, the city where I lived, graduated from university and had a career 
(the church was built in 1785-1795). Photo source - Wikipedia

Uspensky Sobor in Yeniseysk, the town in Krasnoyarsk krai where my Mom went to college
(the church was built in 1793-1818). Photo source - Wikipedia

Unique details of a church in Irkutsk, the city near Baikal Lake in Siberia.
Amazing example of Siberian Baroque. Photo source - Wikipedia

Unique details of a church in Irkutsk, the city near Baikal Lake in Siberia.
Another amazing example of Siberian Baroque. Photo source - Wikipedia

Make sure to click on other languages in the Wiki article, to see more photos of amazing samples of Siberian Baroque (articles in French and Czech languages have the most photos).



I hope you enjoyed my Baroque improvisation, and I am really looking forward to seeing your interpretations of MODISH MATRONS March theme. Let's get those creative juices going!

Cape - thrifted, old
Lace blouse - Eloquii (last year)
Skirt - thrifted (but brand new)
Lace tights - Lane Bryant (on sale)
Velvet booties - via Nordstrom Rack (last year)
Faux pearl necklace - via TJ MAXX (last year)
Earrings and purse - vintage, thrifted

Linking up with Patti's Visible Monday 
Come join all the beautiful ladies from around the world!

* * *


32 comments:

  1. ***lying flat on floor****
    WOW!!!! <3 <3 <3
    this look ist the epitome of modern interpreted baroque! you look very fashionable and all the details - you got even the seashells, that were high trend then, in your tights - scream "baroque" for me. but the most significant thing is the color contrast between the pale clothes and the dark leg/footwear plus the bright embroidery on the purse. totally fabulous!!
    on the tiny collage photo the backdrop looked like ice - so siberian baroque is a perfect description.
    and thanks a lot for pointing me to the actual siberian baroque architecture - this churches look like very beautiful gingerbread houses or ornate iced cakes...... and it reminds me that i own 2 pieces in the "mestizo baroque" style - a pullover from peru and the maya skirt.... :-D
    thank you for that wonderful inspiration!!!
    big hugses & much love! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds so good when you say it, my dearest! Our link-ups stimulate my imagination, challenge and inspire me a lot! Thank you for them!!!

      Delete
  2. Wow Natalia- modern baroque in perfection! I totally love this outfit! Can you put it in a box and send it to me? Don't forget this stunning handbag :))
    Incredible that we both love watching this D&G Show.
    I love your location, wonderful for siveran theme.
    huuuuge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be happy to share it with you, my dear! We might one day, why not?
      Thank you for being my style friend!!!

      Delete
  3. Jest pięknie!!!!prawdziwa dama:))śliczna spódnica i fantastyczna bluzka:))elegancka peleryna i ciekawe buty dopełniają całości:))Pozdrawiam serdecznie:)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in love with that necklace! And the cape and booties are wonderful too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outstanding post! All of it is quite beautiful. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. EXQUISITE! I'm glad you followed your nose because it took you to the exact right spot! Stunning. And I simply love how you added that whimsy with your bag. Really good. Now I must check Tina and Beate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dearest Melanie! So special coming from you!

      Delete
  7. I am completely smitten with both your outfit and the backdrop of that amazing glass sculpture. As for your outfit, I don't know what I love best: the fabulous pearls, your exquisite lace blouse, the shimmering skirt, those sculpted tights or your lovely lace-up booties. And oh, I'm swooning over that delicious little handbag. My jaw dropped even further when I saw those amazingly beautiful Siberian baroque churches. What a wonderful post! Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my dear Ann! It was so much fun to create - I am happy that you enjoyed it!!!

      Delete
  8. Superbly executed Natalia!!! Truly a masterpiece :)
    Xx
    Joi
    www.inmyjoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, my dear Joi, it means a lot coming from you!!!

      Delete
  9. You look just like you've stepped out of a fairy story. the outfit is exquisite and the backdrop is other-worldly. I'd happily live in any of those splendidly ornate buildings, too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your comparison with a fairy tale - thank you, my dear Vix! <3

      Delete
  10. I want to visit your glass museum! Sounds such a cool place.
    Your inspiration has brought about some beautiful research and a lovely ethereal outfit.
    Stunning! xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a unique museum - and I am sure you'll love it! Thank you so much, my sweet friend! <3

      Delete
  11. Another fabilicious post!
    Love the rich beiges and creams .
    The cape is stunning and the lace blouse is perfection. I love the drama that the large pearls add !
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Elle
    https://theellediaries.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my darling Elle! Always feel so honored to hear from you, a fantastic stylist yourself! <3

      Delete
  12. Brilliant and beautiful! Baroque churches often remind me of wedding cakes, tiered and iced in royal icing. Your outfit has so much beautiful texture it was the first thing I noticed even before I read your words saying it was intentional. The glass sculpture makes a perfect setting and modern interpretation. Well done! xo
    PS.
    I've always rather liked baroque music and once asked for some at Christmas. My former mother-in-law's response to that was to buy me a text book on baroque music-LOL. Perhaps I was not specific enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear Shawna! I am pleased that you find it beautiful and brilliant - it's a high praise!
      PS I'd say your ex MIL knew you pretty well, a true and genuine bookworm! :)

      Delete
  13. what a fabulous outfit!, I love all those rich textures, all the velvet, satin and lace, and pearls!!!, and the background is breathtaking!, those glass sculptures look like baroque columns, shiny solomonic columns, which is really perfect!
    And I've been enjoying to learn something about Siberian Baroque, such an amazing style!. Really interesting!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, lovely Monica! I had to look up the term solomonic columns, and I have to agree - similar feeling! I think they move the parts of this glass sculpture from time to time to create a different feeling with the composition, and it was perfect for my outfit this time.

      Delete
  14. What an amazing Baroque inspired outfit! I love the background you choose for your outfit post, makes me think of that Russian film you recommended to me...you look like a heroine from some winter fairy-tale...absolutely beautiful.

    I didn't know about Siberian baroque but I'm happy to learn...and those Siberian churches are truly beautiful. They remind me of our churches from the Baroque period.

    I studied Baroque writings in detail because it was a very important period in our Croatian (and also European) literature. The writing style encouraged in this period is very interesting. It's all about being clever, utilizing words to their full potential, making remarks on more than one level, aspiring for both profoundness and technical perfection in writing...fascinating stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear! I am glad you enjoyed this post. I also didn't know about Siberian Baroque, imagine that! Or maybe I forgot. I very vaguely remember about that period of literature, to tell the truth. You have a wonderful memory! I graduated in 1996, over 20 years ago. I don't think I read that period of literature after that. :) I was more fascinated with what we call Silver Age of Russian literature and modern Western pieces back then.
      <3

      Delete
  15. This outfit is absolutely stunning, dearest Natalia! I'm a little bit sad that I'm not able to show you a current Baroque outfit. But as you may have read, I had to meet with Tina in Bangkok ;-) And then I was in Thailand for two weeks. So I had not enough time to prepare for this topic. For this reason, I have a post today about the meeting with Tina (with non-baroque outfits) and an old post with the most-baroque outfit that my wardrobe has to offer ;-)
    Hugs from here, Traude
    http://rostrose.blogspot.co.at/2018/03/blaugrunes-wunder-oder-asiatisches.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Traude, it was such a surprise to me that you and Tina met in Thailand! Good job!! You two look so happy together, as if you know each other for 20 years! <3

      Delete
  16. Oh, and I forgot to say: The ambience for the shooting is also breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete