Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Khorovod in Yellow Skirt


One thing that happened this passed holiday season, I did not have the chance to share with you yet. I received a postal slip that said that a parcel was waiting for me in the post office. I was puzzled because typically, they deliver all packages to our home, and I for sure was home that day. The only explanation was that it was some special parcel. I suspected it came from abroad, which doesn't happen very often, but when it does, I usually know in advance and expect it. When we finally made it to the post office, the intrigue continued, as they couldn't find it at first. The situation became even more mysterious, and I was at a loss. But my face lit up when they finally found it - oh yes, of course, the mystery parcel with colorful stickers all over it, came all the way from exotic Singapore! I knew it was on the way to Puget Sound, I just didn't know when it would arrive.




I received it from beautiful Anja of the blog Curly Traveler, and the contents of the parcel were not a mystery to me - the one-of-a-kind Yellow Skirt arrived at Puget Sound! Are you familiar with the wonderful adventures of the Yellow Skirt? If not, then read about them HERE, and about Melanie of Bag and a Beret, the talented and most imaginative creator of this fun project, connecting women from all around the globe, HERE. As you can tell, this show is there for us, so we aren't afraid to be experimental - and to be seen!
  


Here is what Melanie wrote about it in her blog back in 2012 (the whole post HERE):

The travelling yellow skirt freak show represents the positivity and solidarity I discovered (...) I will feel incredibly happy knowing that the big bright yellow sail of a skirt is flying and flapping wildly around the world with its message:

Let's enjoy life!! 
Let's enjoy dressing up!!
It's just frickin' fabric!! (a really good piece though)
We surrender to the positivity!
Let's dance, baby!!"



It is amazing that so many wonderful women (35 and counting, to be exact, with everyone mentioned in the gallery, and also Melanie and now me) from all different countries, cultures and continents of the world, felt solidarity with Melanie's inspiring message and demonstrated it by wearing this bright and happy skirt! This piece is LOADED with positive vibes and creativity so powerfully that you will FEEL it!



 I will admit, I felt a bit intimidated at first - what if everything is already said before me, and I can't find anything not just original, but my own to add to it? But my worries were completely unnecessary. The Yellow Skirt  is a good friend! As soon as you slip it on, this skirt gives you exactly what you, as a creative, need - it gives you the fine connection with your own soul, with your inner being, a gentle nudge to do your own thing that isn't like anything else, because we all are unique! In my case, the Yellow Skirt quite unexpectedly connected me with my Russian roots! I felt like singing happy folk songs and dancing a traditional Russian round-dance (хоровод - khorovod).





This hand-made doll was created by my Mom's friend Svetlana, and Mom brought it here all the way from Siberia, Russia when she visited us a couple of years ago. Svetlana's cutest little doll, apparently, got a mind of her own, and she decided to take off on an exciting adventure, connecting with friends all over the world! See her waiving to you? In my mind, we all hold hands in this beautiful khorovod around the Earth, expressing the joy of Life, Creativity and Friendship!





Justin and I took these photos on the terrain of the tallest hill in all of Tacoma (548 feet above sea level) - Indian Hill, overlooking Puget Sound, Port of Tacoma and Commencement Bay where the city started many years ago. The Pyuallup tribe of Indians, mostly fishermen, lived here for thousands of years, and now this land officially is a Puyallup Indian Reservation. From this ancient land with its own history, and through me, the daughter of another ancient land, dancing a happy Russian dance, the Yellow Skirt will take off on its new adventure around the world. 


Juliana & Pava, talented ethno musicians from Seattle, perform a Russian folk song "У Егория на горе" (At Yegory's Hill) and dance called "восьмёрка" (number 'eight').
(My article about these musicians, researching and preserving authentic Russian folk songs, HERE.)

It's an incredible feeling to be a part of this continuum - of the amazing blogging community as well as the amazing Yellow Skirt's adventures! I wonder where will be its next stop?



Yellow skirt - sent on an adventure by Melanie
Russian platok - thrifted
Top and hat - Lane Bryant
Jewelry - from my collection, formed over the years

Let's enjoy life!! 
Let's enjoy dressing up!!
Let's dance!!

Linked with Visible Monday

* * *

39 comments:

  1. It's so lovely, I adore it! Btw, your posts are always so informative.

    Jasmine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it and find my post informative, Jasmine! Here is to our wonderful blogging sisterhood!

      Delete
  2. ohhhh, that's so beautiful and inspiring, I love that idea of all those blogger ladies dancing in a big circle, all of them connected, all of them creating something different and amazing.
    The Yellow Skirt looks joyful, bright and fabulous on you!. All those colors really cheer up my day!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica! Join our dance group - let's hug the whole planet with our warmth and creativity!

      Delete
  3. Oh Natalia such an amazing post! This skirt ist magic! I follow the story about this skirt and now you are a part of it! Amazing pictures and a wonderfull location.
    Many kisses and hugs, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tina! Yes, it really feels magical! I'm looking forward to new stories - hope to see yours one day too!

      Delete
  4. Oh Natalia , so glad to see you in the travelling Yellow Skirt and adding your story of two cultures to its continuing journey around the globe. For me the skirt embodies all that is the joy of blogging , the sharing of our creativity and an insight into the shared interests of other like minded women. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill! It is such a wonderful journey, and I feel so honored to be your blogging sister!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful idea! You look so beautiful in that flowing, yellow skirt, my Dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elsbeth! It really is a fun way to feel connected with many amazing women from around the world!

      Delete
  6. i can see the boar and "uller" i´d patched on!

    totally fabulous take on the yellow skirt!! interesting that it took you to your russian roots! and in a very joyful way - round dances :-)
    i really love how you set the skirt and your beautiful self in scene - it looks like lots of fun up there on the hill.
    much love! xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beate! And now my doll will be right there next to your wild beast :) - they will be travelling together on this fantastic parachute! Oh the stories they will share!!
      Love you!

      Delete
  7. That is fun to see this Yellow Skirt again and again, every time with something new added to it by a new wearer. Wonderful post, Natalia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooo Russian! How fantastic!
    I enjoyed your romp with your Yellow Skirt sisters.
    So perfectly you.

    Yellow skirt so maligned,
    Sent careening around,
    Joins hands with like minds,
    And circles our hearts.

    Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh...this is fabulous Natalia!! And it really looks fabulous on you. I see that you tucked in your top and then put a beautiful shawl over your shoulders!! Such great inspiration!
    jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jodie! It's funny that I didn't even think about the yellow skirt when I wrote a comment on maxi skirts on your page earlier. :))

      Delete
  10. Oh Natalia - I love how you have styled the skirt, the location photos, and the loving addition you have made to her. The doll is precious and it's certainly an honour that you have shared her with this skirt! Thank you so much for taking part in this project and adding to the magic of her journey! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS I particularly enjoyed listening to the video as I scrolled through this post. I love how you made the connection between your Russian heritage and the skirt. Again, magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Melanie, it is YOU who started this wonderful world travel project, and I am very appreciative to be a part of this experience! The Yellow Skirt really has something magical about it - it nurtures, inspires, brings us closer together and closer to ourselves. I'm happy that you enjoyed my input!

      Warmest hugs!

      Delete
  12. You look stunning dear. You wore this yellow skirt with pride, as you should- it is such a beautiful and meaningful clothing item- I love the project and the message behind it. I'm so happy to see that this yellow skirt has had such a fun life so far. I love the doll you added. This skirt has become a work of art- and one that connects women. What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a very special and inspiring art project - and I definitely can see an art exhibit featuring the Yellow Skirt in the future!!

      Delete
  13. I too loved hearing/seeing the Russian folkdancers Natalia! It's so very special that the skirt inspired you to take 'her' to your Russian heritage. With all the embellishments, the skirt is collecting lore for it's own history. Nice seeing you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Sue! You are right - we took each other, I took her and she took me! Let's dance!!! :)

      Delete
  14. Wonderful, Natalia, and the idea abour world wide round dancing women - so great. I love the landscape you choosed for wearing the skirt and shooting the pics. And I can understand that you got taste to your russian roots. Warmest regardes to you from Germany, where I had myself this wonderful skirt in the wood near Berlin last spring ;-) - Ghislana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ghislana! So happy you appreciate my input! I'll make sure to stop by your woods near Berlin! :)

      Delete
  15. I love how the skirt is transforming with each person that wears it.

    Great post!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to have the skirt visit me! I wonder how to go about making that happen..? Does one need to have a blog? Maybe I should enquire over at Melanie's blog. Any way I have enjoyed so much seeing this skirt visit you on your beautiful hill with the beautiful influences of your fascinating Russian background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Big Mamabird!! I am glad that the Yellow Skirt inspires you to join this show! Yes, ask Melanie about how to make it work!

      Delete
  17. First, Natalia, you look amazing! So happy to have you in the yellow skirt family (that's who put the gears and keys on there, Sheila and Vizzini the kitty). You have given it a bit of you, so wonderful.

    Secondly, I had no idea you lived in Tacoma! I live in Victoria, just north of you, on Vancouver Island, in BC, Canada. If you ever make it up here, let me know - I'd love to take you shopping and show you around, and meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very touched by your offer, Sheila! Thank you so much! I haven't made it to Victoria BC yet, but I'm sure some day I will!!

      Delete
  18. Who would have thought that a freakish yellow skirt could manifest such lovely feelings of sisterhood, hopefulness, and humanity. 35 women have held it in their hands but many more of us hold it in our hearts. Rock on yellow skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Even after (many, many years from now) the FYS is too fragile to wear or even to touch, the IDEA of it will live on and on and on and on and on.

      Delete
    2. Thank you both so much, Marilee and LinB! What a wonderful way to put it - and I totally agree with you both!

      Delete
  19. Hurrah Natalia, welcome to the wonderful circle of friendship that this amazing skirt has created! Melanie did a fantastic thing the day she thought this up. It is indeed a formation of hands spanning the world in the most joyful of dances. As long as women continue to build friendships like this, humanity has a way to grow.
    Well done for your beautiful post. The photos are lovely and all of the background details are so informative.
    Anna x
    www.annasislandstyle.com

    ReplyDelete