Saturday, December 30, 2017

Holiday Thrift Finds


It's an unusual post for me, but I thought why not? I am a writer, and I write about various things, clothes after all is only one part of it. I don't know whether it would surprise you, but I am not really a fan of in-person shopping, and I've never been. Big crowds, pushy/fake sales people, walking/standing on concrete floor and trying on clothes in changing rooms with very little air movement are all together not my cup of tea. I mostly shop for my clothes online, and it's a huge blessing in my book - the selection is so much wider since I can shop any store (even in other countries!). I can take my time and shop nationally and internationally literally sitting on my sofa, and try my purchases on in the privacy of my bedroom. (These are pros. The cons of online shopping also do exist, but it's a subject for another story.) But I do love going thrift shopping, it is one of my favorite hobbies. It's still shopping, with concrete floors and changing rooms, but overall it's a very different kind of experience. First of all, you just never know what you'll find, and there is a huge chance that what you end up bringing home will be rare if not unique. The thrill of it just doesn't wear off! In our antique malls and Goodwill, you can browse for hours and they just leave you alone at it, but always ready to assist if you need help. Finally, it's budget-friendly and good for the planet. Without any regularity, Justin and I go on a hunt to antique malls, and since recently Anya joins me for a Goodwill trip (also not regularly, maybe once a month or so). On one of the rainy post-Christmas days, we hopped in a car and hit the road, first having lunch at our favorite Thai place, and ending the exhausting but happy day in one of our best-loved Indian restaurants. We ended up finding lots of treasures that day - at two of our usual spots.



On the first photo, you see an exquisitely hand-crocheted round table clothes doubling as a wicker chair throw, and there is a smaller piece in similar hue (can be spotted on some photos). I've always wanted to add crochet pieces to my interior, and was happy to find two so beautifully done, in excellent condition and at the right price. The three little purses are from the same vendor (they have the best taste!). The natural color clutch is made in Italy and the beaded coin purse in Indonesia. The black clutch is genuine vintage, made in the USA by Harry Levine, just as my brown velvet purse HERE. The faux pearl and plastic beads are from another vendor, and they are vintage too (the natural color plastic necklace is from West Germany). I got 50% off on them. The three photos below show a metal pendant with vintage rose print from the same antique mall vendor and a few pairs of vintage earrings and brooches/pins that I found at Goodwill. My jewelry collection is growing fast, and most of my finds cost only a couple of dollars.

I love chunky & funky plastic earrings 
(the b&w will go so well with my Isabel Toledo bracelet HERE).

Enamel and faux pearl earrings and metal pendant with vintage print.

Brooches (I have quite a collection of enamel butterflies by now).

At Goodwill, I found luck with clothes this time - it was as if someone of my taste in colors and wearing my size donated a part of their wardrobe! I am over the moon with this India-made skirt, Old Navy corduroy jacket (such a good quality that I suspect it was made long before I started shopping at this popular inexpensive American brand) and gorgeous beads. I also bought a suede coat which I haven't photographed yet - I kind of forgot, but maybe for the better, I need to save something for the future posts, right? ;)



Some of my favorite things to find while thrifting are dinnerware and all things cooking related (I am an avid cook). So here I'll share the newest additions to my kitchen collections.

Such enamel tubs are quite popular and not especially rare, 
this one was in a great condition and fare price.

I collected the Mikasa Garden Harvest dinnerware set over the years, produced in the 1990s judging by the style and colors (though I am not an expert). This casserole dish with a lid goes at $70 on some websites. A steal at $12.99 at Goodwill! 

The tall green glasses (99 cents each) feel right at home with my collection of colorful vintage glasses.

The enamel plate and cup were just $5 - I love the whimsical frog design!

I have a strange weakness for crock-pots, I think I have three by now. This one has herbs all over it, and it's a rare design. Justin looked up online and found one similar to it for $75. At $12.99, it was a score! Herbs and berries are my favorite design themes for kitchen.


And a few decorative pieces found at an antique mall. Three boxes for my collection (I've been an avid box collector for years) - and yes, the two Victorian houses are boxes too! It's a Chinese technique applying colored bamboo pieces to create a beautiful collage-like design (I have two or three boxes in this technique in my collection). The tiny details are unbelievable!


This gorgeous large block candle with an angel, Justin said, is probably European (and he has a significant expertise in candles as well as glass). To me, the style looks Italian. It was $10 at an antique mall, a rare find, but what matters is that looking at it just melts my heart. I will not light it, just admire the beauty.

All photos are by me.

With this beautiful angel, I want to say good bye and thank you to the old year, which was both challenging and wonderful in so many ways. But I am not leaving the blog for very long! On January 1st at exactly midnight I will greet the New Year and you, my sweet friends and readers, with a new outfit and new Modish Matrons theme. Celebrate your way and come to say hello in the New 2018!

XO,
Natalia

* * *

16 comments:

  1. totally happy you posted about your finds at the antique and thrift shop!
    so much pretty things - don´t know where to start. but i can see how all the different things from different times and places come together to a very beautiful picture of your lifestyle <3 <3 <3
    speaking of pictures - very atmospheric photos! and i love the peek of your decorated tree and had to smile about "our" carpet :-D
    wishing you a "guten rutsch" and a very happy new year!!!
    much love! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post, and I totally agree with Beate that your photographs are very atmostpheric. You found quite a few lovely things, confirming what of course I already knew: you've clearly got an eye for treasure! And you've totally described the joys of thrifting too. The crocheted table cloth is divine, and I'm loving the jewellery, especially the brooches. The Victorian houses are quite delightful! Wishing you a wonderful end to 2017 and here's to new beginnings. Can't wait to see what you, Modish Matrons, are up to tomorrow! Hugest of hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderfull lovely findings Natalia. I love these earrings :) Hm I don't know what a crockpot is...?
    Happy new year for you and your family Natalia. Much love, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Tina! Crock-pot is a name for a slow cooker - what do you call them in Germany?

      Delete
  4. I'm finally getting around to check out all the lovely bloggers that commented on my blog post Vix shared earlier in this month! I just wanted to say thanks for the encouraging words, and I'm totally following you on Instagram now <3 ! http://moderncolorsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. such fabulous finds!, I love all the homeware, the glass and the crochet table cloth, and I'm admiring that skirt and jacket!, amazing colors and quality!, and those little purses are so cute!
    Really lovely finds!
    besos & best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica! The spicy orange is one of your colors I think too. Happy 2018!

      Delete
  6. Piękne rzeczy nabyłaś:))Pozdrawiam serdecznie i Szczęśliwego Nowego Roku życzę:)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am like you, I prefer to shop online but I like thrift and antiques shops. Happy New Year and I look forward to your new posting. Angelica ( fabridom on Insta).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to hear from you, Angelica! And so glad that we are alike in this whole shopping thing. I thought I'm the only woman who hates shopping, haha!
      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. I love second-hand round-ups, I think they give a real insight into our tastes and personalities.
    I've bought a few things new and on-line for the trip for the first time in my life but nothing beats finding a one-off piece or cast-off in a charity shop or a vintage fair! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a hunter instinct in us I suppose, partly responsible for the thrill. :)))
      Insightfulness is a rare and precious quality. I'm not surprised that your strong insights come from what you love the most! :)

      Delete