Wednesday, July 5, 2017

A Walk in my 'Hood


I am not very big on "thematic" dressing, as in wearing green and red for Christmas, pink or red on Valentine's Day, and red, white and blue on Independence Day. While I don't have anything against this idea, I guess it reminds me too much of uniformity of which I had more than enough when I was growing up in the USSR. Still, I like to incorporate some elements of the common symbolism as a nod to the history and my own ties with the country I love living in. 


 So I picked this blue dress with red flowers and added some red accessories, such as parrot wooden earrings I bought at a jewelry sale in the garden, and my new "antique red" sandals (love them, but it will probably take time to break them in). You might say that my outfit is more reminiscent of Mexico than the USA. Perhaps it is. But I think it just has that universal old country charm about it which would make it suitable for a national holiday in many places of the world (and blue and red are quite common flag colors). And at the same time, it is suitable for any regular Summer day!



On my blog, I often show you our day trips - you've been to so many towns and even some far corners of Washington State which we love exploring. Very rarely though I talk about our little neck of the woods, but it is not any less beautiful than those places I openly admire on the blog. It's a peaceful little place that is tucked away from major businesses and activities, and on most days stays very quiet. But not on the 4th of July! Folks come here for fireworks as you can see a couple of beautiful displays from our neighborhood. We used to enjoy fireworks when we lived in a beach house, and at least once we went to a local beach park where people start gathering a few hours before the show starts. But to be honest, lately we just enjoy fireworks from our living room or yard - it's much less crowded up here!






This year, Justin and I took a nice little walk in our 'hood, said hello to neighbors who were walking their dogs or hurrying home to see fireworks from their decks. It was nice and peaceful up on the hill. And another summer tradition we have is watching sunset, saying goodbye to the sun, thanking it for another beautiful day we had here on earth. 


Love and Peace  

❤ ✌

Dress - Old Navy (also shown HERE)
Hat - Lane Bryant (old)
Sandals - Dansko via Nordstrom Rack
Jewelry - thrifted
Purse - old

Linking up with Tina's Pink Friday

* * *


16 comments:

  1. thank you for taking us with you on your wonderful sunset walk!! <3 <3 <3
    again that sweet dress - did i say it reminds me on the "go west" pioniers - did i? :-D
    we here mostly HEAR fireworks - echoing along the canyon-like valley - but because of the many curves and steep 100m-walls we did´t see much of it.....
    hugses! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lovely Beate, yes, you did mentioned it indeed! though I totally forgot that comment, but maybe it was on the back of my head and I didn't realize it? It's fascinating the way we affect each other!

      Lots of love!

      Delete
  2. Natalia you look amazing in the sunset light. This dress is cute and I love these shoes. You outfit is perfect for the 4th.
    Much love and a big hug , Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunsets are magical, aren't they? It feels good to have a little magic on my face! :)
      Lots of love!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful post and look Natalia!! I love your bag & shoes :)
    - www.inmyjoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joi! It's such a lovely little bag, and it's with me forever! New shoes will add much fun to my outfits, as soon as I break them in! They have very comfortable soles, but the leather is a bit stiff.

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous walk---the lighting was truly spectacular as was your outfit!!
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing sunsets. I'm sure you never tire of them. We have to go on holiday to see sunsets like that! Your dress is perfect for any occasion, and once again I'm admiring your cute little bag. I hope you break in those shoes soon, as they look great, but indeed the leather does look a bit stiff. Ouch! Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Ann! I am glad you enjoyed the sunset photos! And yes, it's worth going on vacation to see such a beauty. We are so blessed to live here! <3

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous outfit and an independent outfit for Independence Day!
    The florals print is lovely! I love the sandals too. I also don't love thematic dressing, but, too, did dress in this color scheme this year...
    Hugs, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I LOVE your comment, Elle! Independent outfit for Independence Day! :)

      Delete
  7. It is wonderful the treasures and connections we can make in our own neighborhoods. You’ve beautifully tied in your hat, handbag, and sandals with your lovely print dress; marvelous style! Thank you for sharing with Hat Attack!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so lovely outfit, blue and red are a beautiful color combo even if you're not celebrating!. Lovely new sandals too, they look elegant and I like their little heel, and the band around the ankle, which adds support and looks also very cute!
    I like to see your neighborhood, it looks like a very pleasant and quiet place!
    Nobody dress in our flag colors in my country, except when there's a football match involved!, then lots of people wrap themselves in flags!.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue and red is a new combination to me!! I am playing with it now. :)

      Here each sport team has their own colors/symbolic, so fans wear those colors when their team is playing. Now sure what happens on international games - maybe flag colors too?? I am not big on sports! :)

      Delete