Saturday, October 29, 2016

The Mamushka!

 

I don't know about your part of the world, but here in the US there are basically three kinds of movie theaters. My favorite kind is the little independent movie theaters that show artistic movies, foreign movies, documentaries, and indies. Another kind of theaters show current movies, and with the latest addition of comfortable recliners, they became more welcoming to me, especially when they show classic old movies, or (rarely) something of my interest (Woody Allen, for one).


And finally, there are older movie theaters that show second run movies. As I understand, they once were "normal" movie theaters, but as their equipment got older, instead of either upgrading it or demolishing the buildings, they offer movies for discounted prices, anywhere from 1 to 3 dollars. Such theaters can be a little on a low maintenance side, to say it politely, and aren't my first choice, but I love movies, and sometimes they show movies that I want to see on a big screen, as this time with The Addams Family (1991).


Justin and I pretended that we were in the 1990s, on a date, and The Addams Family with beautiful Anjelica Huston as Morticia Addams, spooky Christina Ricci as her daughter Wednesday and dashing Raul Julia as her husband Gomez Addams was just released. Suddenly, on our real date, we went 25 years back on our imaginary date, and the worn out second run movie theater, as our time machine, became charming.


It was easy for me to pretend because I've never seen the movie, so it was an actual premiere for me. I haven't seen the TV show either, but I was familiar with the characters and rather fond of them thanks to a couple of local productions of the musical I watched in the past few years. 



My outfit was born spontaneously, and I think it was inspired with the themes of The Addams Family, and made it very Halloween appropriate. The skirt is the queen of course. I bought it on clearance last Summer. I wore the wool scarf for warmth, I wasn't even sure it would be good with the whole look - but actually it was just the right finishing touch! I'd wear this outfit to a party if I went to one. Not really a costume, but an inspired look. 


The Mamushka dance became the most unexpected part of the movie to me, which tied the cultural phenomena that is quite alien to me, back to my roots. In a surprising and spooky way of course!




You know, in so many years living here, I still discover things about American culture that take me by surprise. Only recently I started realizing that October here is all about Halloween just like December is all about Christmas. I mean, in traditions of celebrations, coming up with costume ideas (Anya comes up with a new one every year, and at Justin's office they have costume contests), movies, shows, events, decorations, and even specific foods - all are Halloween themed this month. After watching the movie last night, we stopped by a local grocery store where Justin found Vampire doughnuts - raspberry filled little pastries. It isn't only a commercial holiday - the whole country actually loves and celebrates it one way or another. Such things connect people and make cultures and nations what they are. 
I did not grow up with this holiday, but I am warming up to it.


What would you wear for a Halloween party?

Skirt - 6th&Lane (bought on clearance)
Peplum jacket - Girl With Curves (old)
Lace camisole - Lane Bryant (old)
Wool scarf - handmade, via Garnet Hill (many years ago)
Fishnet tights - Lane Bryant (?)
Boots - Aquatalia (old)
Sunnies - Christian Siriano for LB
Purse - vintage

Linking up with Visible Monday

* * *

16 comments:

  1. Dear Natalia, this skirt is amazing. I need it for an outfit inspired by moulin rouge . He would be perfect :)
    You look great and you can wear it to go to movie theater and to go to a party. I love movies and characters like the Addams family. I like Halloween and Christmas, the dekoration, fun and spirit. You can see in my post last week my costume for Halloweenparty.
    IWish you a nice sunday, kisses tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd give you this skirt for your Moulin Rouge inspired outfit - if only you were here. :)

      Delete
  2. something sturdy - i´m known for wild partying :-D
    you look fabulous! especially the textures of bag and scarf make this outfit what i call "round" - they connect the red with the black... genius skirt!!
    we used to call that dance "kasachok" - back in the years......... :-)
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew you are such a party girl! :) Glad you like the skirt, and yes, I agree about the accessories - they make the outfit complete here!

      Delete
  3. Love the ruched skirt, especially in that color, and I adore the carpet type bag, and crocheted _ I think-top. A fabulous of a kind combo- how I love those!
    I also love the new theaters with the reclining seats, so much comfier,
    I do like old and indi films too!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elle! Such a fun skirt it is, really! :)

      Delete
  4. Dear Natalia, that red skirt is quite a stunner, love the way you paired it with your plain black, scarf and woven bag. Glad you enjoyed your movie. Halloween has only recently been celebrated here, in fact last night was the first ever time children knocked on our door trick or treating.Hope your enjoyed your Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Happy first time trick-o-treating at your home day! :) We had a quiet evening. Our daughter was out and about, partying. :)

      Delete
  5. so feminine! Like Stendhal, I love red and black;) I love how you paired that red skirt with a black blazer and that lovely scarf. You look gorgeous!

    I don't go to movies often anymore, once a year tops... In the last few years, I only watched a handful of films in a cinema ( Interstellar, Martian). When I'm in Split, I like to go to the old cinemas but in Mostar there are only new ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOOOVE movies. But only particular kinds. Mostly Woody Allen (once a year), very few comedies, independent films, artsy films and such. I really miss Nora Ephron now that she passed away. One of my favorite filmmakers (Julie and Julia was her last one, in 2009 - I went to see it 4 or 5 times on a big screen, because movies are made for a big screen). I also am grateful for running classics on a big screen because we younger people, hehe, did not have a chance to see them on a big screen the first time about.

      Delete
  6. p.s. I think it is really sweet how Halloween is a family holiday in America, I like how it is celebrated there...If I lived there, I would surely joined in and enjoy this holiday...I agree it is not only commercial, there is a warm side to it as well. I don't feel tempted to celebrate it here, because there are so many different traditions we already have here, for example today we attended a mass at the cementry (kind of like in Mexico, the graves get covered in flowers and it is a big holiday) ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to learn about your culture! Halloween here is kids' favorite holiday. Just like Christmas, really. The scary part is only a part of it. It's mostly playfully spooky, or ooky as they like to say here. It is warm and cozy really. Our daughter makes her own costumes in the last few years, but we also bought her costumes before.

      When I was growing up in Russia, we celebrated New Year very much like Christmas + Halloween in one! Costumes, candies, Xmas tree and beloved fairy tale characters. It's almost like our Russian NY is split in two holidays here. :)

      Delete
  7. Those earrings look amazing on you, Natalia! Love your sense of style :)

    Blessings,
    Edye | Http://gracefulcoffee.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughters fav films as a kid were Adams family, and Adams family values hilarious Halloween this year was great fun in our house. I absolutely love your outfit that skirt is gorgeous and you are a real inspiration for me to actually look in my wardrobe lol. I have a similar skirt in black with red flowers and a similar jacket both forgotten about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very cool, Wendy! Thanks for letting me know, I appreciate it. :)

      Delete