Friday, February 5, 2016

What Is That Thing?


What makes us decide "today, I want to wear this and not that"? So many factors can be involved - the weather, the occasion, the way you feel, whether you want to be not just dressed up, but also comfortable, or you want mainly to feel at ease and not so dressed up at all... and so on. I still have days (will I always have them?) when I open my closet... and I don't like anything! The whole new closet to me please, right away! But today was not like those days at all. I opened my closet, briefly scanned my stuff and in a few seconds knew that the leopard print skirt was what I wanted to wear. Once you settle on at least one part of your outfit, the rest comes together pretty easily. At least, that's how it works for me.


I wanted a bright color - so I reached for the red turtleneck (a $10 sale find). I noticed this poncho while I was digging for the sweater, and thought that it would go well today. The weather was mild, gray but no rain or wind, and I pretty much needed something cozy over my shoulders to walk from the car to our favorite Indian restaurant, and then a natural food store nearby, and back to the car. 


I thought I'd wear my new suede boots (I bought them on clearance together with the poncho, and paid only $25 each for good quality items, originally priced $170 to $200). But it's so wet here - I opted for my leather boots today and will leave my suede beauties for a dry sunny day. We'll get one some day, won't we?


The necklace is one of the new-ish purchases. I thought of it right away, after the skirt/sweater/poncho were selected... and the red ring seemed like a perfect compliment for both the turtleneck and Art Deco inspired layered necklace. I have to say Lane Bryant is becoming so much more imaginative lately, in many ways - jewelry is one of them. 




Is there anything I did not tell you about this outfit yet? A few more words about the poncho. You know of course that I love shawls, ruanas, ponchos, wraps, etc. - I always keep my eye open for them. This one is by the old trusted brand Pendleton, a mix of wool and acrylic, soft and wonderful quality. I fell in love with the color scheme (you can wear either black or camel side up, so it's like two ponchos in one really). Love it! Love the whole outfit, actually. 


Tell me, you beautiful artistic people, what do you think it is when you know for sure what you want to wear and then the whole outfit comes together easily? What is that thing that makes dressing up effortless on some days and difficult on others? 

Skirt, turtleneck and necklace - Lane Bryant
Poncho - Pendleton via Lane Bryant
Boots - Naturalizer
Purse (old) - B Makowsky
Cinnabar ring - Chaos NY

Remember that Write and Link is open during the whole month of February.
Have a great weekend all! 

***

17 comments:

  1. like you - i don´t know! ist is so much - but it is in an unconscious part of the brain.
    i never think about rules or such - although i know them all. the weather of cause counts a lot! and the occasion - city trip like your example or going skiing needs other stuff. but then it ends. if the weather/occasion frame is clear my style mind works without me thinking.
    really love your ensemble! the bright red to the earthy tones - the patterns - the straight lines of the skirt with the convoluted ones of the poncho! i would wear your look right off if i had it in my closet :-)
    (only habe more subdued versions of all that elements....)
    tons of hugs!!! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it Beate! I have a few thoughts regarding our "dressing-up blocks"... I'll try to write a post soon!

      Delete
  2. hmm some days my complete closet is wrong. Nothing to wear, I think. And anlther day I find many outfits and don't know what I wear first. It's a mysterious thing.
    Normaly I choose the Accessoires first and then piece for piece.
    You look amazing and you have a good hand to find amazing thrifted pieces.
    Hope you understand my english :))
    Have a nice weekend, kisses Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, your English is very easy to understand! Great job! I am impressed that you usually start with an accessory... I don't think I do it often, only sometimes! :)

      Delete
  3. wouu, love your leopard & red combo, and your poncho too!, love how the patterns mix, such a fabulous ensemble!, and it's even more fabulous 'cause you created it in seconds!, those are the best ones!!
    Even if I wear some impromptu outfits, I like to think them in advance, just picking something I should like to wear next day, an accessory, a pair of socks, whatever. The key to dress up in a rush is to have a perfectly organized wardrobe, I think, but sometimes mine is not that way!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, "perfectly organized" is so not me. :))) But I agree that it helps a lot!

      Delete
  4. There is something rather 1950's classic about the red and animal print together. And that poncho is another classic. Terrific look. Whenever I see a closeup I can see that you have lovely skin. It must be those natural foods. Or perhaps the Pacific Northwest climate? I'll bet you're just naturally pretty. Yes, what is it about our closets that makes them go from drab to wonderful without changing a thing? Perhaps the phases of the moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Connie - you are always so kind! You really made me laugh with "must be those natural foods" - I just love your sense of humor! :) Our climate is really very friendly to skin, it's true. I have some small issues, but in general I'm pretty happy with my skin.

      Delete
  5. Gracias Natalia/el poncho esta muy bueno,elegante,sobrio y el rojo le va muy bien.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love your combination of prints, and the great color of your top! Also, that ring is fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love red and leopard print as a combination, and the boots and shawl add a boho vibe. Lovely! I do sometimes have the "I don't know what to wear" feeling, though rarely, if I'm honest. On those days, I turn to old favourites which never let me down; I rely on dresses which requite minimal effort and thinking, just add boots, a cardigan and a coat, and I'm done! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky! :) I will learn to rely on old trusted favorites some day - so far, it's all been experimenting, experimenting, experimenting...

      Delete
  8. I love red and leopard print together, it really lifts the natural tones of the animal print and makes it modern and vibrant.
    After a month of living out of a bag I do find a wardrobe full of clothes a little overwhelming. Today I chucked on a right old mish mash of stuff and was amazed by the number of women who stopped me to tell me I looked incredible. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing bold colours paired with animal print. That red top is a great pairing for that leopard skirt. You look stunning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That’s a really great mix – love each detail of it!

    And I also know those days when I don’t like the content of my wardrobe – but at the moment there are lots of cloth that I discover new again! :o)

    Hugs from Austria, Traude

    http://rostrose.blogspot.co.at/2016/02/ruckblick-auf-den-januar-teil-2.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete